isolated twigs and branches

I aspire to be like Bruce.

Bruce who wears a hair tie on his wrist, knowing that one of us may need it at any given time.

Bruce who sneaks us into his house at three in the morning because we have trouble sleeping.

Bruce who tells his parents only the good things about us.

Bruce who gets annoyed with his little sister when she tries to get too close to us.

I aspire to be like Robin.

Robin who has four bandannas in our favorite colors.

Robin who taught me how to play guitar and bandaged my fingers when I went overboard.

Robin who likes to play with our hair like his mother does to him.

Robin who gifted each of us a photo album of him so we "wouldn't ever miss him".

I aspire to be like Vance.

Vance who cooks for us instead of taking us out to eat.

Vance who does Gwen's hair without question, just like his mother used to do for him.

Vance who taught me how to fight.

Vance who gave me my first nosebleed after hitting me with a door I was in the midst of opening.

Vance who takes care of my wounds, no questions asked.

I aspire to be anyone but Finney.

Finney who spent his first day of school crying in a stall.

Finney who ran first instead of throwing a punch.

Finney who looks for comfort in his best friends instead of his family.

Finney who would do nothing for himself, but everything for his friends.

I aspire to be.