keep her safe, keep her safe for me

Christmas Kids - Roar
0:01  ❍─────── 2:15
↻     ⊲  Ⅱ  ⊳     ↺
  Volume: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%
—-

Finney had everything packed away, zipped into a suitcase too small for an eighteen year old boy. His clothes were worn-down and torn, stretched beyond repair. His hair, damaged and encrusted with last night's bloody argument with his father, laid against his shoulders and dipped towards his back.

His eyes no longer held that spark in them. They were dim, not even sunlight allowed to sparkle against his pupils.

"Don't leave Finney. He's, he'll change. He has to." Gwen had pulled him by the threads of his sweatshirt, pleading with a broken voice. Finney turned to her, smiling sadly. "He'll change for you Gwenny. You make sure he changes, okay? I've done all I could."

Finney pulled himself away, pushing the last piece of clothing into his suitcase before zipping it up. Gwen rubbed at her face aggressively, stains of red and tear drops splayed across skin.

Finney gave her a hug on his way out, his limbs sore and fragile as he sputtered out the taste of copper. Gwen held him tight, as if he were a feather bound to float away towards the sky.

"Be safe kid."

"You too Gwenny."

Finney passed through the living room, averting his eyes at the figure rocking in the nearly broken chair. He felt no grief in leaving the man, but his sister held his heart in the palms of her hands.

He had to leave.

He had to.

"Call me when you're safe."

Finney nodded his head, smiling one last time before he shut the door behind himself. He left his house key under the rug on the porch, exhaling in relief.

He was free.

Finally.

In the driveway sat a deep blue car, easily mistaken as a black one. The windows had been rolled down, soft music blaring from its radio.

"Are you ready?" Robin tapped the steering wheel, smiling. Finney nodded his head, closing the back door after throwing his suitcase on the seats.

"I'm ready."