sun down, im up!

Bruce paced back and forth, feet thudding softly on the carpeted floor. His best friend sat on the bed, back against the wall and a frown on his face. The sky outside was dark, covered in thick gray clouds that attempted to shield the moon and envelop the world in complete and utter darkness. On the bed, Finn picked at his nails, watching as small drops of blood trickled around his cuticles. He winced.

"Bruce. You're killing me with your pacing."

Bruce stopped, only for a single moment. He turned to look at his best friend, eyes as blank as the rest of his face. He shook his head before continuing with his thudded footsteps. Finn sighed, sliding away from the wall and into a flat position on his back.
————

Vance sat on his back porch, a cigarette lit between his fingers slowly burning away in the darkness of the night. He inhaled the smoke, letting it travel down to his lungs and burn them softly. His best friend sat next to him, fingers tapping against the wooden deck beneath the two. Cigarette smoke surrounded the two, looking almost identical to the night sky above them.

"Vance. The smell of that shit is going to be the death of me."

Vance merely shrugged, inhaling yet another mouthful of smoke. Robin pulled at a stray piece of wood, wincing as it pricked his finger, slicing the skin of it and bubbling out crimson blood. He quickly wiped the bloodied finger on his jeans, making a mental note to wash it when he went back home.

"Fine. Let me hit it before it's gone then."
———

It was now Monday. The first day of the week. The dreaded start of a dull five days at high school. Hell.

Bruce threw on a messy combination of clothes, having the least bit of decency to make sure the outfit at least matched. He quickly tied his shoes and left the house, locking the front door as he made his way to his and his best friend's meeting place.

The grass smelled of dew and the earth's dirt. Bruce made sure not to step in it, not wanting to ruin the pair of shoes his mom just got him. He walked quickly past houses and mailboxes, children and their parents, small convenience stores and gas stations. As quickly as he could, he crossed the street and made it to a small alley which he walked through with no sense of fear. He spotted a familiar head of light brown hair, smiling to himself as he ran towards it.

"Hey Finn!" The boy was loud, voice echoing throughout the small alleyway and surely down the road as well. The boy in front of him spun around, frightened at the intensity of the voice. He rolled his eyes when he saw his best friend, shoulders slumping in relaxation. "Bruce. Don't ever fucking  be that loud again." Bruce shrugged at the other boy, wrapping and arm around his shoulders and pulling him into a half-hug. Finn shrugged him off, giving him an annoyed look. "At least hug me the right way you asshole." Bruce scoffed before fully hugging his friend, not missing the smile that covered the boy's face, right underneath his collection of tan freckles that surrounded the skin around and under his nose. "Let's get to school dork. Don't wanna be late." Finn nodded his head, removing himself from the embrace and walking ahead of the other with an extra pep in his step.
————

Vance rubbed at his head, eyes hazy from stuffing his face into his pillow to sleep last night. He looked at his alarm clock, groaning when it told him he only had twenty minutes to get ready. The boy rolled off the bed, crashing clumsily onto the floor below. He stood up after a passing minute, stretching and moving towards the bathroom for a quick shower.

The blonde boy walked away from his house, shoes stomping down the sidewalk as he made his way to his best friend's house. Upon seeing a familiar head of long, jet-black hair, he picked up a jog.

"Robin!" The boy with long black hair turned around, smiling before he was tackled to the ground in a bear hug. "Vance get the fuck off! You're gonna ruin my outfit!" The blonde got up slowly, helping his friend up as well with an outstretched hand. Robin dusted himself off, glaring at the blonde who was now laughing at his annoyance. The two made their way to school, conversing lightly about random, unimportant things going on in their lives.
————

The four boys stepped onto the gated school grounds, smiling as they stood across from each other in pairs.

"Happy Monday, if that's even a thing."

Finn rubbed his hands through his hair, fluffing it slightly. Robin grasped his backpack straps tightly, pulling it more into him. Vance stood and stared at passing people, glaring at those who stared back. Bruce rolled his eyes at all of them, motioning for the boys to follow him inside of the building.

"This day better go by fast, or I swear to g-"