id say see you later, though this is much too permanent of a thing.

"Before I die
I'd like to do something nice
Take my hand and I'll take you for a ride"

prepare yourselves for this one.
-

Finn stared at the ceiling, bumps running along the reflections in his pupils as he grazed over the patterns above. His hands trembled, shaking gently as they grasped onto the cream-colored silk sheets below him. Tears filled his eyes, heartbeat a distant echo in his ears as his throat clogged with the urge to sob endlessly.

"Finney?" The voice was quiet, a soft murmur in the aching silence of the room. Finn turned his head, sniffling as he met the worried eyes of his little sister. "Hey Gwenny. Come here."

Gwen moved instantly, holding onto herself as she sat beside the older boy. Finn stopped grasping the sheets and slid and arm around his sister, holding her close as if she'd suddenly disappear if he didn't.

"Are you okay?" Gwen played with the boy's fingers, something she used to do when she was little and afraid. Finn nodded his head, a half-genuine smile forming on his face as his sister looked towards him. "Yeah. I am."

Finn's hair was a mess, darker than usual as he seemed to stray from any form of sunlight or brightness. His eyes always seemed distant, pulled down by dark purple eye bags. He was skinnier too, gaunt with the food he refused to eat.

"Finney, are you going to leave like mommy did?" Gwen's voice shook as she spoke, high-pitched and wobbly as she thought of her mother's funeral. Finn sniffled, eyes clouded over with warmth as he shook his head. "I won't." Gwen rubbed at her eyes, the burning coming from them making it hard for her to see. "Do you promise?"

"I won't leave you."
-

The town seemed dim, dusted over with grey gloom as streetlights shone through the morning fog. Finn wrapped his arms around himself, engulfing his body in some form of warmth as the interior of his jacket seemed to swallow him in a pit of heat.

He was in front of the post office, four letters neatly tucked into the crook of his arm as his teeth chattered against the crisp blow of air. Walking up to the door felt weird, something akin to having a parent stare you down as they read your report card. The feeling of wait, nervousness. That uneasy feeling.

"Hello. What could I do for you?" There was a jingle of a bell, high-pitched and echoey as it rang above Finn's head. The person in front of him, swaying as they sat against an ivy-colored spin chair, offered up a smile. Finn nodded his head, bouncing on his heels as he placed the four letters onto the desk the other sat at.

"I just-, I need to mail these out? I've already put the stamps and everything on." The lady in front of him nodded, still smiling as their eyes surveyed the papers in front of them. "Sure hun. They'll be mailed by five this afternoon." Finn nodded, smiling wearily as he muttered out a thanks.
-

"What's the occasion?" Robin, eyes aglow with the burning flames atop of a candle-lit cake, gave Finn a confused look. Vance had his arms crossed, legs nudged against Bruce's as Gwen talked his ear off about nothing in particular.

"Just wanted to do something nice. I love you guys, truly." Finn had a far-away look in his eyes, overlapped with the clear indication of tears that seemed to form an ocean in front of his brown orbs. "Man, I love red velvet cake." Gwen rubbed her hands together, seemingly having stopped her ranting towards Vance as she now sat with a smile in front of the two-layer cake.

"You're eating some too, right Finn?" Bruce wore a light smile, face burning bright with the reflection of the flames against it. Finn gave a nod, a small smile. "I ate before this, but I'll eat some later. Just don't eat it all before I can." Finn had looked at Gwen as he had muttered out that last part, though the girl only shrugged and continued on with her chants to cut the cake.
-

The water was cold, instantly sending shivers and waves of goosebumps onto Finn's body. The moon was reflected on top of the sea, shining brightly as its light bounded towards the sand a little ways away.

It was five-thirty in the afternoon, already past sunset as the season had fully transferred into winter. The letters had already been sent out and, if Finn was correct, had already been read as well.

He only had some select minutes until he was inevitably found.

The water was up to his shoulders now, encasing him in chills as it nipped at the ends of his blonde hair. Finn sniffled, looking towards the night sky and gazing at the constellations as a smile passed over his face.

He then submerged himself, water burning down his throat and into his lungs. He could feel his timer running out, slowing down as it reached towards its end.

His eyes began to close, limbs heavy with the weight of the sea on them as he began to sink lower under its currents.

But then, just as his timer had run out of time, a new timer had been set.

Finn gasped out a breath, water splashing out of his throat and through his blue lips as his lungs began to burn and ache with the oxygen of the living.

"What the fuck were you thinking?" Vance was on his knees, hands in his hair as tears covered his splotched face. Finn had never seen him cry before.

There was a sob, angered and scared, that came from Finn's left. Turning his head, his vision landed on his sister. Gwen was wrapped in Bruce's arms, head nuzzled into his chest as she broke down. Finn couldn't even allow himself to look at her, knowing he'd broken the promise she tried to get him to make.

"Out of everything I've imagined you to do, this was the last." Robin's voice was broken, words stuttered out as he sniffled and viciously rubbed at his eyes.

"I'm sorry." Finn's body burned, aching with the sense of self-grief and hatred over his failed attempt of dying and also letting those around him down. "I'm sorry."

The waves of the sea splashed against the sand, everything was quiet now. Cicadas buzzed softly in the surrounding patches of green, echoing around as if they were a part of the small group of people.

"I'm sorry." It was a mantra now, and Finn didn't know if he'd ever stop repeating the phrase.