cloudy eyes and rainy days

The clouds that rolled through the sky, booming with a drum solo of thunder, blanketed the upper atmosphere with grey. The sun didn't dare peek out, feigning fright of the storm. Flashes of lightning sparked in different directions, illuminating parts of the town briefly before it went dark once more.

"Fucking piece of garbage." Vance slammed a fist against the outside generator, his hair knotted and slicked with rainwater as he sat perched underneath the back roof. He'd been trying to reset the thing since the storm first brewed, speckles of rain dripping onto the windows as his once dried clothes began to wet. Finn, his younger brother, had been watching a movie when the power kicked off, his scream of fright echoing through the darkness.

Vance hit the generator one last time before he stood, his combat boots squeaking against the wooden porch as water squished out of them. He removed them before entering back into the home, making a mental note to dry them properly after the storm passes.

"Finn, buddy where'd you go?" Vance slid his jacket off and hung it in the closet nearby, rubbing his hands along his goosebump-covered arms as he progressed forward. "Finn?"

A chorus of thunder sounded from outside, making Vance jump as lightning flashed close by. He shook his head after a brief moment, ignoring the feeling creeping into his stomach as he continued walking.

Crossing the hallway, Vance noticed that Finn's door was closed.

"Finn?" Vance's voice was at whisper level, an additional layer of goosebumps now crawling against the skin on his neck as he inched closer to the door. He could faintly hear a voice from inside and he let out a deep breath.

"Okay. Okay, everything is fine. I'm fine." Pressing his ear to the door, Vance listened to the voice on the other side.

"-ary. He should be back inside soon though, could you just stay on the phone a little longer? I fucking hate storms. I hate them so much."

Vance could hear the slight tremble in Finn's voice, the change in it after every syllable. How long had he been outside?

Vance pulled his body away from the door and raised his fist, rapping his knuckles softly against the wooden surface. He waited a moment, listening to when it got quiet, before the door swung open.

"Vance, you're back. You look like you pissed yourself." Finn was smiling, eyes slightly red and cheeks pale as he looked up at his older brother. Vance, ignoring the comment about his wet jeans, pulled the younger boy into a hug.

Finn breathed in deeply, shaky breaths turning calm as he inhaled the scent of rain that stuck to Vance's shirt. His fingers threaded into the fabric of the older's shirt, twisting it as he sunk his head farther into the boy's chest.

"You could've come and got me. I was only outside." Vance rubbed Finn's back and smiled, eyebrows knitted together as he looked down. "I know. 'm sorry I didn't." Finn sniffled, his head unmoving as he spoke softly. "It's okay Finn. I'm not mad at you." Vance pried Finn away from his chest, eyes scanning the younger's face as he ran a hand through the boy's hair. "I'm not mad at you."

Finn rubbed at his eyes and nodded, forcing out a smile. "I'm tired." Vance nodded his head as well, tilting it towards the other's bed. "Sleep. I'll stay in here with you, don't worry." Finn breathed in deeply and made his way to his bed. Vance followed him, tucking the other in when he laid down.

"Close your eyes
Have no fear
The monster's gone, he's on the run
And your brother's here"

Vance ran a hand through Finn's hair, smiling softly when the boy's eyes fell closed. Whispering, Vance sang softly.

"Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy"

The storm passed soon after that, making sure to take Finn's tears and pit of fright that built up in his stomach along with it. The sun poured over the town once again, no longer afraid of the build-up of grey clouds.