but if you loved me, whyd you leave me? / (short)

"Finney, my sweet boy." Her words are mumbled out, drenched in a sweet tone that's just below a whisper. Her face is pale, akin to a newly printed sheet of paper. Her hands are cold as they take her son's face in their palms, the chill of them burning his skin a bright red.

"Mommy loves you. You know that, don't you?" Her hands tremble as her son nods, shifting his weight as she squeezes his cheeks gently.

"I'm sorry Finney. Tell your sister, tell Gwenny, that mommy is so sorry."

For a moment, she stills. Her body straightens, mouth contorting into a deep frown as a trembling sigh escapes her tear-coated lips.

"What are you sorry for mommy?"

"I'm sorry for leaving you. But it's too late now, I'm sorry."
-

Finn wakes up in a cold sweat, hands trembling as they run over his eyes. He breathes in deeply, taking in the scent of strawberry perfume and aged wood that surround his room.

His hair is sticking to his neck, coating the skin of it with small beads of sweat. Finn sits up, cradling his knees to his chest as his eyes shut and he rocks back and forth.

"It was just a dream." He repeats the three words for the next thirty minutes, eyes heavy with sleep as his rapidly beating heart slows with time.