Chapter 61

~ Four Days Later ~

Lauren's POV:

The ground beneath my feet rumbled, amplifying my heart rate as I stood on the red X beneath the stage. Thousands were shouting my name so loudly, their voices had blended as one, overwhelmingly intensifying.

Shawna, my makeup artist, did final touch ups on my face and body as Francis made sure of zero flaws within my wardrobe. Standing with my head tilted up and limbs outstretched, I looked at the black equipped ceiling while they worked their magic.

During this moment, I did my best to push thoughts of today, especially ten minutes ago, completely out of my head for the next hour and forty five minutes.

Back in my dressing room, just as I'd gotten dressed and was almost ready to come out, my fiancé paid me a visit from the VIP section of the stadium. He then proceeded to nitpick at my attire, and complained about being here after a long day out.

Me being fed up and not having time for his bullshit, I simply told him no one was making him stay and he could leave.

Even though I could've sworn I said it in the calmest and nicest way possible, he acted as if I'd killed his dog or something. And before I knew it, my back was pressed hard against the wall and a strong hand was gripping my neck, squeezing the life from me as a deep voice shouted at me through a faded ringing.

Now as I stood here, trying to allow the deafening screams to take over my mind, his words, past and present, were all I could think about.

'You know, the only reason you've even gotten this far is because of me.'

'You'd be nothing without me Lauren! You hear me!? You need me!'

'Oh baby girl, I only do the things I do because I love you. Because if I didn't, please believe I wouldn't give you the time of day.'

'All these fans just love you so much- and they see this beautiful princess on stage.... but right now, looking at you up close, with these fake ass tears... I don't see much of anything.'

"Alright Lu, you ready?" James touched my shoulder, pulling me from my thoughts as he flashed me a 'ready to go?' smile.

I smiled back. "Always, J."

"That's what I like to hear," he said,turning to the crew under the stage with me. "Alright boys, you know the drill! Let the show begin!"

Taking deep breaths as the first song on the set list began, I nervously shook the microphone in my right hand while the pedestal ascended up to stage level. My hand then stiffened with confidence as spotlights came into view.

A few moments passed while I took in the crowd before me. Soon, a smile curved onto my lips as I raised the mic up.

"Hi there New York," I said, smiling harder as the noise grew. "Y'all ready?" I asked rhetorically, eyeing the crowd.