Chapter 73

Omniscient POV:

For the past thirty minutes, Lauren had locked herself in the downstairs restroom.

Once telling Sade the news, she simply whispered, "I'm fine," before her girlfriend could even ask if she was alright.

Like she'd done countless of times when with Micah, Lauren ran the water from the faucet to mask the sounds of her soft cries. Though she knew she could, she didn't want Sade to see her break down, especially not over Micah. She didn't even want to be breaking down over Micah. But after hearing those words from her assistant's mouth, the immediate tears couldn't be helped.

Tears of sadness or despair, they were not. Tears of relief and slight anger, however, they were.

For nearly two years, Lauren took his verbal, emotional, mental, and physical abuse. For almost two years, she endured the reality of his true colors behind doors, saying nothing to those around them. And for almost two years, she'd lost herself more and more each day, because of him.

And now.... He's dead??!

Are you fucking kidding me??! Lauren thought. All this time that she'd hoped the beatings would stop, and that the treatment would cease, he dies after she leaves??

Even their last interaction had made her mad.

He walked away as if he'd won. As if what he said goes and that she was a fool to think she could ever do anything about that. But that's just the thing, also... What had she done to prove otherwise?... Fight back? No... Call for help? Tell anyone about it? Speak out about it?... No, no, no, and no...

And now, he's dead... Lauren couldn't get the last laugh even if she wanted to. And that upset her beyond words.

She was angry at herself for allowing herself to be treated how she was treated; for hardly reacting to the fact that he caused the accident- because yes, she knew- and she was angry that now she was angry, after he'd died and there was nothing to be done about it. He'd gotten off the hook, ripping her off once and for all, and after everything, she finally felt herself boiling over.

All those nights she'd spent crying, screaming, begging for him to spare her his harsh words, or fists...all for him to laugh in her face, every time, and do it anyway. All the times she'd had to cover up bruises with makeup before going to rehearsals, a meeting, or an interview. All those nights she'd said yes to sex with him, simply because she was afraid of what would happen if she said no. All the times, or more so every time, she'd felt utterly disgusted with herself for allowing it....for getting herself into that mess in the first place. For saying yes to the first date...and to the proposal.

Deepening by the minute, Lauren's emotions swarmed her brain and consumed her breathing as she placed both hands on the sink, leaning onto it. Once again, she couldn't even look at herself in the mirror. And once again, she was sinking emotionally...because of him.

That son of a bitch, she thought, over and over again. Those words repeated with more grunt each time, until she'd found herself whispering it aloud, then getting louder.

Over the sound of the faucet and shower running from outside the bathroom door, Sade could hear Lauren as her mutters became low muffled shouts. She'd been standing outside the door, resting her backside on the wall while patiently waiting for Lauren to come out. She knew there wasn't any real use of the shower or the sink, and that Lauren only did it to cover the sound of her cries. Though it now seemed that maybe she wasn't in a crying mood after all.

Before she could lay her head and hand on the door to call to Lauren, asking if she was okay, the bathroom door swung open. Had Lauren not been on crutches, she'd have speed walked past Sade, huffing angry mumbles. But the crutches simply slowed down her speed. Therefore, Sade stood in front of her before she could get far.