Chapter 74

Hunter's POV:

Hunter's POV:

Today's November 19th....also known as my birthday, and for the first time, in I think... ever, I'm doing something to celebrate.

I've always hated my birthday, and never grasped the whole celebration thing. My father died around this time of year, and that was when I'd lost both my parents, at least to me. Sure my mother died a little over a year ago, but she'd been long gone before then to me. The day I moved to New York, she didn't even see me off at the airport. Mimi was there, and Lauren's dad was the father I never had, so I was fine with having them. After that, I hadn't seen my mother, only to receive a call years later, asking what I'd like to do with her belongings.

Homicide was her apparent cause of death; it seems someone spiked her drink at a bar, and it was laced with fentanyl. She died as soon as she got to the hospital...

I was in the middle of Sade and I's monthly sleepover, and they broke the news to me at around midnight. Sade had fallen asleep, and I stayed up the rest of the night, staring at the TV in denial. No emotion laced my voice when I'd told her what happened. And it was a good thing she insisted I stay with her a few more days, because sure enough I completely broke down two days later. Literally just started crying because I forgot how her stove worked, and the tears just never stopped.

Since then, things have changed, evidently.

I'd started sleeping around to cope; and to be fair, I told them all it was just sex, no strings attached, so if they caught feelings it was on them. A few did, and a few didn't... And a few, I even almost caught feelings for, which I simply just blamed it on the good sex.

Somehow though, and not that I've had a whole lot, but out of all the people I've been with, none of them compared to Tina...and yes I mean as of recently too...

She knew I'd had flings all over, but she didn't care. Not once did she ask me to get rid of them or cut anyone off, in fact she hardly said anything about it once I brought it up. I'd guessed that since she didn't want me in that way yet, it played a part, but I did it anyway. With sex, you can never be too careful, so of course I'd gotten tested regularly. And after my third date with Tina, I hadn't been back. I hadn't spoken to any of my flings, and honestly kind of forgot all about them after the fifth date.

What I'd told Lauren the other day was true by all means, and if anything, the pressure had thickened after that. For example, that day, when she came to my place, was the day things took a turn for Tina and I, leaving us where we are now...

Sitting on my couch, I absentmindedly watched the movie that Tina put on as she fixed the candied popcorn in the kitchen. The smell of it hit my senses as she sat down next to me, and I looked over at her with a smile, taking my bowl from her hands.

For the first half of the movie, things were fine and we were chillin.' Occasional glances between us were shared, but I told myself that I would hold off on making any moves yet. As usual, Tina sat there, cool as a cucumber, and looked anything but nervous or flustered unlike myself on the inside. It drove me crazy, the way she'd just be sitting there, doing nothing, and I still felt so smitten when looking at her.