Música 🦋

Author's note: Since many readers thoroughly enjoyed little Yara, this chapter will still take place in 2016, with the Philippine Youth Symphonic Band, where Ms. Irene was one of the group's supporters over the years

~~
Irene's heart felt heavy as the opening day of the Youth Summer Music Camp '18 approached. As the Project Director for this year's camp, her presence was essential, yet she wrestled with the idea of leaving Yara alone. Yara's ongoing illness and need for constant monitoring made the decision even harder.

Irene: Honey, what if I bring Yara along?
Greggy: Dear, it's your call, but personally, I'd prefer she rests and joins you once she's better.

Irene: It's hard for me to focus when I know she's not well.
Greggy: Don't worry, I'll stay with her today.

Irene: Alright, I'll say my goodbyes now to come back early.

Greggy accompanied Irene to Yara's room. Irene gently caressed Yara's face and whispered,

Irene: Hey, sweetheart. Mommy needs to go help those kids playing music. Remember them?
Yara: Without me, Mama? But why? You said I could come.

Irene: As soon as you're better, my love *Yara started to tear up*.
Greggy: Come here, hija *lifts Yara* Mom will be back, Daddy is here.

Irene's heart ached as she watched Greggy comfort their sobbing daughter, signaling her to continue.

Yara: *teary-eyed* Mama...*voice trembling* I want my mommy, daddy...*crying loudly*
Greggy: *calming her* Yara bear, Mom will be back soon. You need to rest and get better, then you can go with her.

Yara's sobs slowly subsided, and she drifted off to sleep as Greggy explained to her why Irene had to leave. While Irene felt anxious about leaving her daughter, Greggy's updates helped reassure her.

~fast forward~

For the past nine days, Irene had been shuttling back and forth to Laguna for the PYSB Summer Camp. She was grateful for the generous sponsors who supported their needs throughout the week. Today marked the final concert, and Yara would finally spend the day with her mother.

As they got into the car, Yara's excitement bubbled over, and she bombarded Irene with curious questions.

Yara: Mom, why do you always go to the mountains? Aren't you tired of it?
Irene: Not at all, my love. Seeing young musicians learn and have fun makes mommy happy.

Yara: Can't we call Dad when we're there? You said there's no signal.
Irene: That's right, the signal isn't good up there, but we can take pictures to show Dad later.

Yara: Can I join in and play, Mom? I want to see you happy.
Irene: Absolutely, sweetheart. Your presence alone brings me joy. No more tears when I'm away.

Yara: You know, mama, I feel really lonely when you're not with me. I cry a lot because you're not here. Do you miss me too?
Irene: Of course, I do! I worry and my heart aches when I hear you cry, my sweet baby.

Yara: But now that you brought me, I'm not sad anymore. I feel so much better.
Irene: Me neither *smiles* You're the cutest, my little one *gives her a gentle kiss*

As they journeyed peacefully and happily to Laguna, immersed in music they both loved. Upon arriving at the National Arts Center, they were warmly welcomed by teachers, students, and parents.

"Good morning, Ms. Irene."
"Oh, what a surprise to see your mini-me today."

Irene: Finally, Yara is joining us on our last day. Say hello, Yara bear...
Yara: *waves* Hi...*grinning, waving*