Vida 🦋

Author's note: This episode is a throwback to an event that happened in July last year when Ms. Irene met a few of her admirers, or should we call them fans. It's also a throwback sixteen years ago to the time when Yara was conceived.

~~

Every month, a Katutubo pop-up store graced the Bench Tower. As a fervent supporter of local artists and their creations, Irene made it a point to visit and buy items from them, so she always goes there to purchase their creations instead of fancy brands.

Inviting her daughter-in-law, Xandra, to join them was a thoughtful touch, especially since Yara was still in school and would catch up later. However, as Irene made her way, she found herself unable to reach either her daughter or her security.

Frustration tugged at Irene as she tried to connect with Yara. As her worry grew, she tried calling again, but it didn't work. Just then, Xandra called.

Xandra: Mom, are you there? I'll be a bit late. Thali is having trouble falling asleep.
Irene: Almost there. Let Thali sleep. I'll just wait upstairs. I still can't reach Yara.

Xandra: We talked earlier, Mom. She might be busy with her thesis.
Irene: Ah, I understand. I'll try calling her again later. I'm here now.

Irene wandered through the Katutubo pop-up store, admiring the intricate local designs. Her attempts to contact Yara were in vain, leaving her a touch uneasy.

Xandra's arrival was a welcome sight. They both shopped in, unbeknownst to Irene, some teenagers were eyeing her arrival, hoping to catch a glimpse of her in person.

After almost thirty minutes of waiting, Yara finally showed up, looking visibly tired and worn out from school. Irene couldn't help but feel a mixture of relief and concern.

Irene: *brightening up* Hey, little girl. *hugs and kisses Yara* I was trying to reach you. What happened?

Irene's voice was laced with concern. Yara hugged her back and they had a small conversation. Irene knew that her daughter was worn out and a bit distant.

Irene: *holding her hands* What's wrong, my love?
Yara: *tired* I got caught up in some last-minute revisions for my thesis and lost track of time. But you kept calling me, Mom and my teacher reprimanded me for my phone.

Irene: *feeling guilty* Oh no, honey, I'm so sorry. I was just so worried that you weren't answering.
Yara: But mommy, you know I'm at school and we're not allowed to use phones. It's still school hours, Mom.

Irene: *hugs Yara and holds her hand* Mom is so sorry, sweetheart. It's never going to happen again.

Yara nodded. They walked side by side, hugging each other. Yara felt a bit better being with her mom. They went to Xandra and exchanged sweet smiles.

As the Aranetas were shopping, some teenagers were discreetly following them and taking videos or pictures of them.

"Ang sweet naman ni Ms Irene sa anak niya"
"She even talked to her on the side and hugged her, wish we could all do that, right?"

"Ang gaganda nila!"
"I wonder what it's like to have Ms. Irene as your mother."

Irene: Little girl, something you want to buy to add to your look for the SONA?
Yara: Can I borrow your accessories, nalang mom? Instead of buying new ones?

Irene: Of course, honey! Just look in my jewelry box if you find something.
Yara: But can I also look for a skirt, I would like to try on those tops over there *pointing*