Chapter 15

The building was cold, the sun was going down and you didn't have any heavy clothing

It was like a typical office building, just with not many people around this time, and if you weren't familiar with it, then it'd be similar to a maze.

It was silent. The only thing loud enough to cause attention was the ding of the elevator once Samuel pressed the top floor button. This wasn't his affiliate building, so he seemed almost as lost as you if not for what he was told.

"Are you not curious as to what he wants you for this time?"

Samuel didn't know himself, but he was curious, and so he wanted to see if you would drop any hints.

You looked at your reflection through the steel doors of the elevator.

"Not in particular, I'll find out soon enough anyway."

You weren't going to let him get anything on you. You, too, knew his game very well.

"Why is it that you're the first one he calls up to do little things like this? is your work not very... satisfactory?"

He frowned and side eyed you, but he wasn't going to let you see him lose it, not when his boss was a couple floors away.

"I'm trustworthy. You should take note."

To that, you laughed, and he recoiled in pure confusion. He wasn't joking.

"Sammy, I was declared untrustworthy before I even met the guy in person."

He took a second to process that, this time almost directly facing you.

"You've.. seen what he looks like?"

He didn't even have time to react to what you called him in the moment.

You kept your mouth shut immediately. You felt like you could have eyes and ears on you 24/7. No way were you going to spill this and possibly be sent back to America with your head in a bag.

"No, just through a call."

He sighed and looked at the doors along with the floor indicators, and with a ding, the doors opened.

You got out, but he stayed. Technically, he was only supposed to drive you here, so he had already overstayed his visit.

"Bye, bye, Samuel."

You waved to him as the doors closed, and he looked away stubbornly.

You turned to the hall, it was long but one door stood out, it was all the way at the end and had a light shining through the cracks at the bottom.

You headed towards it, looking around to see if there was anything else that could catch your attention, but nothing interesting came of it.

You tried to open the door, but it was locked, so you knocked. You could hear heavy footsteps approaching and felt the need to back away a little bit.