Chapter 49

"we need to stop by the mall

"we need to stop by the mall." You said as you slid into the passenger seat of his car, careful with your left arm.

"Why?" He asked confused as he started up the car.

You looked out the window unbothered as he pressed the accelerator.

"I need a phone." You said, not even bothering to see the glare he gave you.

"What happened to your last one?"

"Got fucked." You recalled, still pissed.

"I have my sim card, all I need is the actual phone and I'll be out in no time." You tried to convince him.

"We're supposed to be in Busan by 10." He told you.

You just scoffed and rested your elbow against the door.

"Yeah and why did that change? The ship doesn't arrive until this afternoon, but we're getting there midday." You confronted him, careful not to raise your voice and start something with him. "What are you not telling me Samuel?"

He didn't like the way his name sounded coming out of your mouth at the moment.

"We'll stop at the mall, if you're not back in 30 minutes then I'm dragging you to Busan, phone or not." His hands clenched around the wheel.

You didn't let him see the smile that appeared on your face, putting your mouth over your hands as you just muttered a small 'yes'.

Thirty minutes huh?

That was plenty of time to get what you needed done.

"I'll get you a snack if I have time." You were teasing him.

You found it strange that he didn't bite back, instead he seemed to be in thought. Normally he'd take all he could get when it came to bickering with you.

"Dog lost its teeth?" You asked him, seeing if he would react.

You had an idea of how he was despite not knowing him for long. Something was bothering him and you were naturally curious.

"I've been meaning to ask, it's been bothering me for some time." He waited for a 'go ahead', trying to make sure he got your attention.

"Yes?" You were a bit nervous.

"What is it exactly that you do for workers?" He looked serious, it freaked you out some.

But before you could give him a simple answer he started going off for a bit.

"A while ago you had a run in with a man who is known for harassing people, then just the other day a guy who sells drugs through kids, and even more recently a guy got arrested after stabbing a teenage girl." He was smiling now, like he was so clever.

"What happened to your shoulder?"

He took his eyes off the road temporarily to look at you, but you were faces away from him, looking out of your window.