Chapter 42

He pulled a small bottle of what you assumed to be booze out of the pocket of his coat and went to drink it, but became disappointed when he noticed it was empty

"On second thought, let's take this inside." He said as he threw the bottle on the ground and it shattered, then started walking past you.

You were still in shock, this was pretty sudden after all.

"Yes.." you said quietly as you started to follow him.

Tom was a very fickle man, And was always running for a high price. He wasn't someone who you wanted to tick off in any way, so you made sure to watch yourself for the time being.

"If I may?" You caught his attention.

He turned his head around to look at you over his shoulder. "Hm?"

"Why were you sleeping out here?" You asked politely.

He had a lot of money, it didn't make sense why he was dressed like that and sleeping on a public bench like the common beggar.

He laughed and shook his head while he answered simply.

"Nostalgia maybe."

You didn't say anything back, just accepted the illogical response as it is.

"And what is your name again?" He questioned, it had totally slipped his mind until now that he didn't even know that much about you.

"[Y/n]. My name is [y/n]." You said, purposely leaving out your last name.

You didn't want him knowing you had more money to your name than you let on.

Even though most people in this country wouldn't know about your family, you were certain that Tom would make it a point to memorize every name that could benefit his wallet. Foreign or not.

You didn't want him haggling you.

But before you knew it the two of you were already in front of his building. The place where the white tiger job centre is currently located.

"Home sweet home~" Tom laughed as he burst through the doors.

You awkwardly trailed behind him, but also took the time to look around. There were two sofas across from each other, and a nice wooden coffee table separating them.

And there is an old man sitting on a chair not too far from the sofas, he looked to be middle aged, maybe older. He had glasses and pitched black hair.

"Manager Kim! We have a guest, or client?" Tom looked at you to confirm.

"A bit of both." You said.

"A guest client!" He shouted proudly.

Tom gestured to one of the sofas for you to sit on and so you did. It was nice and comfy.

"She's just a kid.." you heard manager Kim mumble from his spot as Tom sat down across from you.

He ignored him.

"You wanted to see me?" Tom smiled at you.

You leaned against the back of the sofa and had your hands on your thighs.

"Yes." You said, decided to try and play apathy as you smiled back at him. "But first, I want to know something. You can't talk about your past clients can you?"

You felt him change for a second, he seemed amused.

"You're right, it's against our policy." He said.

"Not even for a price?" You tried.

"I doubt you'd have the funds for that." He laughed.

You weren't going to challenge him on that.

"I'm curious." You felt it. He was trying to see through you, to read you. His eyes were like daggers boring through you. "What client is it that you wanted to know about?"

This started to feel real all of a sudden. He was an intimidating man after all.

"It doesn't matter anymore, let's focus on something more important shall we?" You smiled pleasantly at him regardless.

He hummed for a moment, thinking.

"Right, let's get to it."

He waited for you to start.

"The port, port of Busan." You hesitated a bit. "There's going to be a shipment coming in, from japan."

He was taking in the information.

"And what is it that you want us to do?" He asked, a bit skeptical.

"Destroy it." You said plainly.

The room went dead quiet as the men processed your words.

"What's the meaning of this?" You heard manager Kim say, perplexed.

He was glaring at you, almost annoyed.

Tom started laughing hysterically.

"Wait. Let her finish!" He grinned.

"The ship, though coming from Japan is American-made." You let it sink in for a second. "But I'm not saying to destroy the ship itself, just the containers on it." You smiled.

Tom's eyes widened. He was very intrigued now, if he was being honest he really didn't think much of you at first glance. That's why this was so surprising.

"What's in the containers?" He asked eagerly.

"Do you need to know that?" You replied sharply. Honestly you were pushing it. But you didn't want to be taken as a joke or someone in over their head.

He was smiling from ear to ear, but manager Kim was unamused deeply.

"And why would a kid like you need that from us? Go home, go to bed, then go to school. That's all you should worry about." He stood up and looked down at you. Not in a rude way, it was more like an adult lecturing a child.

"You won't have the money for us to do a job of that size anyway." He finished.

"Really? That's a shame." You stood up, walking past him towards the exit.

"I was going to say you could take the red container to go." You said, dramatically sighing and shaking your head.

Tom and Kim looked at you confused.

"Last time I checked there should be about.." you hummed in thought. "1,323,470,000.00 won on board."

(Approximately 1 million USD)

"Maybe even double that, no! Triple..?" You thought out loud.

"Sit down." Tom said suddenly. "I think we have more to talk about." He smiled sinisterly.

-----------

Started: November 12th, 2023
Finished: November 12th, 2023

Womp womp womp womp

Would you like to continue?