Chapter 21

"Here

"Here." You placed a food tray in front of Duke and took the seat across from him.

You smiled as he thanked you and dug in.

You offered to get both your trays while Duke picked an empty table. He chose one in a corner of the room, away from the louder tables. You didn't mind the solitude.

Plus, if another fight started, then you'd have a clear view of the show.

You shifted uncomfortably in your seat. You normally sat with Mira and her friends, so Mira was giving you a stare, one which you weren't able to determine the motive behind it. Vin was glaring your way, obviously not happy that Duke is happy. You also noticed Daniel watched you for a bit.

You happened to be looking around when the two of you caught eyes, and he quickly looked away.

That's weird..

Maybe he was curious about you when you met his mom or when he got piss drunk in front of you.

You tried not to pay any mind to it as you focused back on Duke, crossing your arms on the table in front of you and leaning forward.

"Hey [y/n], what do you do?"

You looked at him, confused, in which he quickly clarified.

"I-i mean out of school, you miss quite a lot, you know?"

You laughed lightheartedly to ease his mind, not expecting him to ask such a question.

"Sorry if I'm prying too much.."

You smiled while picking at the food on your tray with your fork, not particularly hungry for school lunch at the moment.

"You're good, man. I just need a break from everything for a while, y'know?"

He looked a bit guilty, he asked. Obviously, he took your answer with a bit more gloom than you wanted.

"Hey, it's fine, really- Here."

You offered him your lunch tray, and in return, he seemed a bit happier.

"I'm not hungry anyway, so you might as well, and I don't mind your questions.."

You froze as you heard snickering from another table behind you.

"Hey, look, she's feeding the pig.. heh"

"They're not friends at all. She's just trying to mock him. Man, she's clever.."

"Look, he's already got two trays, how greedy..."

You didn't try to hide the scowl you had on your face as you turned around. Trying to look for anyone in particular to point your anger to.

"Here, I'm full."

You were suprised as you turned back. He was smiling and pushed your tray back to you.

"Thank you though."

He seemed so kind. You couldn't bring yourself to start something right now, he didn't want you to, it would just make it worse.

"Yeah, no problem." You didn't want to bring his mood down any worse, so you just gave in. Suddenly you were feeling hungry again.

You didn't try being polite, forgetting all table manners you just dug into your food. You wanted to make all the people around you disgusted and you were achieving that.

You felt multiple stares on your back and didn't mind them at all. If they wanted to be Dicks then you would reciprocate.

You noticed Duke and he just laughed, he found this amusing which only encouraged you.

Your stomach wasn't going to be happy with you but at least he would be. You weren't going to feel bad for him, it would just make him seem weaker than he actually is. So instead you'd just find a way to make him happier.

People like Duke and Mira are the only reasons you feel like an actual human at school. And so since they, unknowingly, do so much for you then you feel obligated to do the same.

Plus, there's nothing better than treating shitty people like shit, So there's that.

"We should do this more often." You grinned as you wiped your face with a napkin.

Duke just kept his lighthearted smile and nodded.

Normally you sat with Mira and her friends but you two could always see eachother other times.

You don't want to have to drag Duke to a table with people he doesn't know at all and just have him be a shadow.

--------------

Started: September 8th, 2023
Finished: September 10th, 2023

Enjoy this while you can.

Would you like to continue?