Chapter 37

It was only the two of you

It was only the two of you. Everyone was at the concert, the area nearby was completely void of people.

"Could you explain to me the internships provided with the beauty department?" You started off with a topic that was relevant and easy to make work of.

He thought for a second.

Honestly you were surprised. Any normal person would've just brushed you off and kept on with their day. After all there are much more interesting things going on. And it's not like you couldn't have asked a teacher.

But it's like he didn't even consider that.

Is he naive?

Or does he know something? Is what you were thinking.

If he did then this whole thing would be pointless.

"Well.. I can't say much for anyone else, but the one I have a contract with is very generous to me." He smiled at you and closed his eyes.

You were observing his every movement, trying to find some sort of tell. He was perfect. No matter where you looked he didn't seem fake, there was no malice anywhere.

"Ah, but are you looking to transfer to the beauty department then? I don't recall seeing you there."

You rubbed the back of your neck bashfully.

"I've been thinking about it, just trying to see if it's worth it." You smiled while saying this.

You didn't mind which class you ended up in you just managed with the cards you were dealt.

"Oh, I see."

"And I was wondering, how does the internship interfere with your day to day life? What are the work hours like and do you get paid?"

What you were really aiming for was to figure out his schedule. Trying to see whether he's a busy person, work motivated, academically driven, anything you could reach.

Depending on where he spent most of his time it would give away where his priorities reside.

"The employer is very generous, and the work hours are reasonable. Since it's an internship we don't get paid but it's a business connected with the school so it counts towards our credits."

You just nodded politely.

You were thinking of testing his boundaries.

"And how would that interfere with family? It must be tough being gone almost all day." You inquired, not expecting much.

But for a moment, only a small moment, you saw something different. He showed more emotion for a second and so you pressed on.

"It's just that I've got family back home, I wouldn't want to miss out spending time with them if it isn't worth it..." You put on a sad facade. And he seemed to take pity on you. But he definitely showed sympathy towards you ever since you've mentioned family.