Chapter 89

"class is done!"

"class is done!"

"Hey, c'mon! Turn it on!"

It was break time.

A few of your classmates gathered around a single person's desk and cheered excitedly while staring at their phones.

"How much time is left?"

"Ten seconds!"

You wanted to throw their phone out the window.

"It's got to be even!"

"No! Odd!"

"Even!"

"Odd!"

"Please!—"

You blocked out the chatter with music. It felt like there was something new everyday, money was in and out of peoples accounts with every game played.

And you've been asked more times than you can count for money. People already know your family's wealth so there isn't much of an excuse you can give them without just saying "fuck off."

You weren't interested in throwing money in the garbage, so you weren't willing to hand out any to this lot.

There was a tap on your shoulder.

"Yes, Duke?" You looked over wearily.

"We need to stop Jiho—"

You turned your music up louder.

He paused it.

"He's our friend!" Duke nearly shouted.

"He turned his back on us to gamble." You reminded.

"It's an addiction, like alcohol." He retorted while making drinking gestures. "There's no need to cast him aside."

You looked at him, waiting to see if he had anything else to say.

"And how do you plan on helping him?" You asked.

He didn't expect the question and was hesitant to answer. It seemed like he didn't really know the answer himself.

You were feeling a bit guilty now seeing his dejected expression.

You took a deep breath and sighed.

"Listen, how about we just keep an eye out for him?" You proposed with a reassuring smile. "We won't stop him unless he absolutely needs it."

Not saying he doesn't need to be stopped right now.. you couldn't say that to his face.

You were supposed to stay out of trouble. But you couldn't find yourself being able to not lend any help at all.

"Thank you, [y/n]!" Duke gave you a bright smile of relief.

"Hey, I only said I would watch." You said quickly.

He didn't respond to that, just nodded his head.

.....

"Give me the most... Expensive one here." Jiho was leaning against the counter with a grin.

Daniel handed him the most expensive lunchbox he had in stock with a smile.

While Jiho went and ate it you gave Duke an annoyed look.

"Hey Jiho, you seem a little cooler these days." Daniel watched him as he scarfed down the entire box.

"He's bragging about a lunch box." Zoe stated plainly.

You nodded your head in agreement.

"Hoohoo, you noticed?" Jiho leaned his back against the counter, his elbows supporting him as he smirked. "I upgraded my gear."

"Cuz I won some money, betting." He looked way too smug.

You all just pretty much hung out there for the rest of the evening until it was time to go home. After all, you only promised to keep an eye on him. You weren't in the mood to take part in an intervention.

But when all was said and done you decided to be the first to retire for the night.

You said bye to all your friends, and Jiho. But you were stopped by a sweet and familiar voice.

"Wait! Don't we have to go home in pairs?" Zoe came running beside you.

She was out of breath, she must've been determined to go with you.

"Oh that rule? Yeah, I guess." You said haphazardly.

You weren't concerned for your safety, and you doubted anyone was going to get kidnapped again for a while. But that was just what you knew.

But it wouldn't hurt to have a little company.

Plus, there was still the possibility of Zoe getting hurt on the way home. So you were a little worried.

"Then how about you let me walk you home?" Zoe asked bashfully.

She's going to walk me..? You nearly laughed out loud.

"Hey, it's not funny." She pouted and crossed her arms. "I don't want you getting hurt."

You shook your head lightheartedly and waved.

"Fine, fine, let's get going." You ignored her smile and kept walking like you had before.

It feels like the first time in a long time someone had genuine concern for your safety.

It was nice.

------------

Started: April 21st, 2024
Finished: April 26th, 2024

"What if I just start killing everyone?" The author thought intently.

I'm gonna need a couple days. I sliced off a chunk of my thumb with a cheese grater so this is a bit of a lazy chapter :)

Would you like to continue?