11. Bunny Rabbit

"Care of Magical Creatures, also known as Creature Care, is an elective course at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry that could be chosen by students in their third year. Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry introduced this course in 1927.

In the class, students learnt about a wide range of magical creatures, from flobberworms, hippogriffs, unicorns and even thestrals. Students are taught about feeding, maintaining, breeding, and proper treatment of these creatures and many more."

"Severus!" Avalon called out. "What's a flobberworm?"

"Disgusting little creature." Severus answered from the bathroom as he shaved.

"Is that the official term?" Avalon teased.

The witches and wizards who succeeded in achieving an O.W.L. in the subject could later become Magizoologists. Care of Magical Creatures was a subject taught only to those in their third year or above who chose to take it as an elective course.

"Thats why I dont get any of the first years." Avalon tsked.

"Reading up?" Severus questioned leaning over the couch.

"Yes, its all very interesting. Can you take me to the magical bookshop one of these days?"

"Of course." Severus agreed. "It's just a book shop, love."

"It has magical books." Avalon corrected before turning back to her book.

In a student's fifth year, they took an Ordinary Wizarding Level examination in the subject, where they sat both a written portion and a practical portion, were they demonstrated their knowledge of the subject. On their Care of Magical Creatures practical, they have to identify a knarl hidden among a dozen hedgehogs, demonstrate correct handling of a bowtruckle; feed and clean out a fire crab without sustaining serious burns, and choose from a wide selection of food the diet they would give a sick unicorn.

"Severus are you hearing this? This is amazing! Can I take a test, just for fun?" avalon told him.

"Glad you are enjoying it love." Severus agreed pouring them tea. "Of course you would want to take a test."

"It would help me learn better and be able to teach better." Avalon agreed.

"I will find you a test," Severus agreed.

"Thanks Sevy," Avalon answered.

Hippogriffs were carnivorous and were extremely dangerous until tamed, which should only be attempted by a trained witch or wizard. The diet of the Hippogriff consisted mainly of insects, birds, and small mammals such as ferrets. They would sometimes paw at the ground for worms if no other food was readily available.

"Do Hippogriffs get flobber worms?"

"If they wanted to I suppose, but they are usually more picky than that." Severus countered.

"They eat worms it says and Flobber worm is a type of worm I'm assuming?"

"Disgusting little creatures." Severus assured.

When breeding, Hippogriffs built nests on the ground, and laid only a single, fragile egg. The egg usually hatched in twenty-four hours. Infant Hippogriffs were capable of Flight within a week, but it took many months before they were strong enough to accompany their parents on long journeys.

"A day, then a week, wow I wish human pregnancy was that fast." Avalon murmured. "Can you imagine?"

"I honestly can't." Severus agreed. He stared back at her as she was completely enthralled with learning. She was so good with the students, she would make a great mother. He knew she would. Knew she wanted to be a mother but it was never the right time.

When humans approach Hippogriffs, a proper etiquette must be maintained to avoid danger... Hagrid was right about how to approach." Avalon remarked. "But this say eye contact should be maintained at all times, without a single blink. That seems hard." Severus sat down beside her stroking her thigh as she read.

"A Hippogriff is one rare possible corporeal form of the Patronus Charm. Whats a patronus charm again, severus?" Avalon questioned

"A Patronus Charm is a defensive spell which produces a silver, animal guardian, used to protect a witch or wizard against Dementors." Severus informed her.  "The spell is very complicated, takes a powerful witch or wizard."

"Whats your patronas?" Avalon questioned

"A doe," he told her knowing she wanted to see it he pulled out his wand and the doe danced across the room.

"It's beautiful." Avalon watched it jump and fade before them.

"I think if you were a witch you would have a... bunny as patronas." Severus told her

"A bunny? That doesnt seem very ferocious to defend against demons." She told him with a laugh

"Dementors," he corrected kissing her head.

"A bunny doesnt seem very ferocious against demonstors," she corrected. "Does the animal take a shape like that reflects you? How does that work?"

"It is your soul in animal form," he informed her

"And you think my soul is a bunny rabbit?" Avalon questioned.

"Sweet and timid. Beautiful and cuddly." Severus told her kissing her neck.

"And you are a doe because you are gentle and kind." Avalon told him. "Determined and skilled and adorable." she added with a grin and severus didnt think he could love her any more but every day he felt his heart grow for her.