33. Tri

'The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector: the Goblet of Fire. Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must write their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment and drop it into the goblet, aspiring champions have twenty-four hours in which to put their names forward. Tomorrow night, Hallowe'en, the goblet will return the names of the three it has judged most worthy to represent their schools. The goblet will be placed in the entrance hall tonight, where it will be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete'. Albus told the students and staff.

 'Finally, I wish to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this tournament is not to be entered into lightly. Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obliged to see the tournament through to the end. The placing of your name in the goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you have become a champion. Please be very sure, therefore, that you are wholeheartedly prepared to play before you drop your name into the goblet."

  "Eternal glory, be brilliant wouldn't it? In three years from now we'll be old enough to be chosen." Ron remarked.

"Yeah well rather you than me." Harry assured. The twins came up cheering.

"Thank you thank you, well lads we've done it." George declared.

" Cooked it up just this morning. " Fred agreed. Avalon's gaze shifted to them. Classes had been going smoothly, she had asked to sit in on the other schools magical creature classes and she was excited to see how the children progressed in their studies, what they learned, what creatures they got to encounter. 

"It's not going to work." Hermione cut in.

" Oh yeah? And why's that Granger." Fred countered.

"You see this? This is an age line. Dumbledore drew it himself." She pointed to the line.

"So?"

"So a genius like Dumbledore couldn't possibly be fooled by something pathetically dimwitted such as an age potion." Hermione told him factually.

"That's why it's so brilliant." Fred agreed.

"Ready Fred?"

"Ready George?" they drank down the age potion.

"What are they-" Avalons question was cut short as they  jumped inside the age line, and cheer. They put their names in the flame and high fived. The flame fires up and they were flung across the room onto the floor. When they get up they had full heads of grey hair and beards. Amelia laughed out tipping her head back. 

"They were young and now they are old!" Amelia giggled out. 

"You said.. Fred You said.." George pulled at his beard. 

Avalon stuck her hand through the barrier, it didnt feel like anything. Maybe it was because she was a muggle maybe it didnt feel like anything.  She watched the blue flame shimmer before her eyes. Amelia smiled up at it. 

"It's pretty." Amelia whispered. 

"It is and dangerous." Avalon agreed. 

"'did you know that the Muggle Olympics may have up to 300 events, but the Triwizard Tournament only had three tasks... and they were quite enough back in the day.''

Avalon chuckled. 

"I love the Olympics," Avalon remarked. "Figure skating mainly but I do love watching the swimmers. I dont know much about the tri wizard though..." 

"I have been studying up." Hermione remarked patting the seat beside her. Avalon sat beside her and harry in the library.  'The rules were simple: each school was represented by a champion, chosen by the Goblet of Fire. The champions took part in three punishing tasks to win the Triwizard Cup, one thousand Galleons, eternal glory and eternal bruises it seems." Hermione added.   Avalon laughed out. 

"So, Ms Avalon," Harry looked to Amelia. 

"Oh, have I not introduced my daughter?" Avalon questioned lifting Amelia into her lap. "Harry, Hermione this my daughter Amelia. We adopted her this summer."

"Hi!" Amelia waved back at them, a big smile on her little face. 

"She is magical like you two." Avalon added. 

"I'm three." Amelia told them. "I have two kitties and a doll house in my room." She added. Hermione chuckled as Amelia shook Harry's hand. "And Barry the bear, he's really cool. You could over and play with him if you want." Amelia added meeting Harry's gaze. 

+

"It was the cutest thing!" Avalon declared, Severus rolled his eyes. "Harry is the cutest too." She added. 

"Amelia is the cutest." Severus corrected. "After you that is." Avalon leaned into him. 

"Can I pick a name?" Amelia questioned, she had a chocolate cupcake in one hand and barry in the other. She licked frosting from her lips as Albus stepped forward. 

" Sit down please. And now the moment you've all been waiting for, the champions selection!" Albus declared. Dumbledore approached the blue flame and it glowed red. A name came out. "The Durmstrang champion is ... Viktor Krum!" The Durmstrang crowd cheered out, Viktor stood up smiling back at his friends. Another name came out.

"I think thats Dumbledore's job." Avalon countered. 

"Aw nuts." Amelia shook her head. Severus chuckled reaching out and stroking her hair.  

"The champion from Beauxbatons... Fleur Delacour" The Beauxbatons girls cheered as Fleur walked up. Another name came out this would be the Hogwarts participant. "The Hogwarts champion... Cedric Diggory." Hufflepuffs cheered out the loudest for their house mate.

"Hufflepuff." Avalon declared. "Thats still the cutest name ever." 

"Everything is the cutest today." Severus realized. 

"You are not the cutest." Avalon assured. Severus narrowed his eyes at her. "You are the most handsome." She assured kissing him. 

"Excellent! we now have our three champions! " Albus declared. "But in the end only one will go down in history. Only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of victory the tri-wizard cup!" As the cheers continued the goblet glowed a violent red once more and another name flew out. Albus reached for it confused, he snatched it from the air.

"Harry Potter. Harry Potter? "

"No... No." Hagrid whispered.

"Harry Potter!" Albus shouted.

" Go on Harry. Harry for goodness sake." Hermione nudged him forward. Harry slowly walked up. Dumbledore gave him the paper with his name on it, he didn't right it.

"Severus he's not old enough." Avalon corrected. 

"He's a cheat! He's not even seventeen yet." A voice shouted out. 

The trio of Champions wasn't allowed to be under the age of 17 based on the age spell that Dumbledore put in place. Despite those restrictions, Harry's name was chosen as the fourth Champion from the Goblet of Fire, everyone was furious he was 14. He couldnt be in the goblet of fire. Fred and George had tried and turned into old men the moment their names got in.  Who in their right mind would want to do this competition? Why would harry want to be in this competition, by the look on his face, Avalon didnt think that Harry put his name in, he looked completely surprised, baffled really and more than anything Harry looked scared.