66. Arm Candy

"I've never been to this part of the castle." neville remarked. "At least not while awake. I sleepwalk, you see. That's why I wear shoes to bed." He added.

"Harmonia Nectere Passus."

"Harmonia Nectere Passus." the password given and they were in. Avalon didnt know why she was invited but she was glad to be severus arm candy. 

"This is so cute," Avalon cooed. 

"Ms. Snape."

"Mrs. and Hello." Avalon agreed. 

"My dear you are so lovely, I'm so glad you decided to come." SLubhorn remarked grabbing her hand. 

"Thank you for inviting us." Avalon agreed. 

"Drink?"

"Neville?"

"I didn't get into the Slug Club." Neville assured. "It's okay, though. He's got Belby handing out towels in the loo."

"Hermione. What are you doing? And what happened to you?" Harry questioned. 

"I've just escaped. I mean, left Cormac under the mistletoe." Hermione corrected.

"Cormac? That's who you invited?"

"I thought it would annoy Ron the most." Hermione agreed. Harry gave her a small smile. "Thank you. I'll catch up with you later. He's got more tentacles than a Snarfalump plant." Hermione grumbled.

" Dragon tartare?" a server questioned.

"No, I'm fine. Thank you." she corrected.

"Just as well. They give one horribly bad breath."

"On second thoughts..." Hermione countered. "Might keep Cormac at bay." she grabbed a few. "Oh, God, here he comes." she ran off. Severus didnt like spending extra time with students but Avalon felt compelled to come. It was rude to ignore an invitation. That was no way to make friends. Severus had too many sort of friends, he didnt need any more fake friends. 

"I think she just went to powder her nose." harry offered.

"Slippery little minx, your friend. Likes to work her mouth too, doesn't she?" Cormac questioned. "What is this I'm eating, by the way?"

"Dragon balls." harry answered heading off. 

"Happy almost Christmas harry." Avalon declared. 

"You too, Ms Avalon." Harry answered hugging her.

 "Dont you look so strapping." Avalon added. 

"Thank you," harry whispered blushing. Avalon couldnt help but think he had some very prominent similarities with Severus.

"I will let you get back to your friends." Avalon added. "I just wanted to say hello." She stroked his hair before turning around. 

'Not so fast potter.' Severus remarked coming up to harry. 'I am to give you a message...' harry looked to severus confused. 'Dumbledore asked to give me a message that you have a good holiday and he will see you when term resumes.' Severus informed him stiffly.

'Where is he?' Harry questioned.

''He will not be back until after the break.' Severus repeated.

''where did he go?' harry questioned but Severus walked away.

"Not your concern." Severus assured. 

"Take your hands off me, you filthy Squib!" Draco shouted.

"Professor Slughorn, sir. I just discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor. He claims to have been invited to your party." Flitch remarked a rough grip on Dracos collar.

"Okay, okay. I was gatecrashing. Happy?" Draco shouted.

"Oh Draco," Avalon cooed. "I'll escort him out." Avalon assured. "I should get going and relive Minerva from babysitting anyways." 

"Yes professor." Draco agreed. 

"Certainly, little ms." Horace agreed. "All right, everyone, carry on, carry on."

"I could have brought you as my date." Avalon remarked. "Severus wouldnt have minded." she mused. Draco leaned into her. "whats going on draco? You seem more on edge than usual." 

"I'm... its... I just got a lot on my mind right now, Avalon." Draco answered. 

"I bet you do... you want to tell me about it? I hear it can help if you talk about whats going on. Maybe i can help?" 

"I dont need help, I have to do this alone." Draco corrected. 

"What is it that you have to do alone?" Avalon countered stroking his hair. 

"Avalon." Severus summoned. "I need a moment with young master draco." Avalon stared down at him another moment before nodding. 

"I'm here if you need me." Avalon whispered kissing his temple, he closed his eyes his shoulders slumped. 

"Draco." Severus commanded. "Katie Bell." Draco's gaze turned cold. 

"Maybe I did hex that Bell girl. Maybe I didn't. What's it to you?" Draco hissed in the hallway when Severus pushed him against the wall. Avalon glanced back at them, she knew it was something dark lord related she wanted to help, she really wanted to help protect him. 

"I swore to protect you. I made the Unbreakable Vow." Severus reminded him. 

"I don't need protection." draco spat. "I was chosen for this. Out of all others. Me. And I won't fail him."

"You're afraid, Draco." Severus corrected. "You attempt to conceal it, but it's obvious. Let me assist you."

"No!" Draco demanded. "I was chosen. This is my moment."

"THank you Minerva," Avalon remarked when she got back. 

"I hoped you would be gone longer." Minerva admitted. "She is so precious." 

"She really is." Avalon agreed. "And the twins were alright for you?" 

"They are in the middle of a magic puppet show." Minera assured. 

"A..." Avalon moved to their bedroom and saw them watching a little puppet show they perked up when they saw Avalon reaching out for her. "Thats fun." Avalon offered. "Thank you for watching them." 

"Anytime dear, I always regret not having children."  She admitted. 

"You can borrow these two whenever you like, they are having a hard time staying asleep lately and its draining me." 

"Well you hide it well my dear."

"Unbreakable Vow. You're sure that's what Snape said?"

"Positive. Why?" Harry questioned.

"Well, it's just you can't break an Unbreakable Vow." Ron remarked.

"I'd worked that much out for myself, funnily enough."