64. Love Potions

"Attention to detail in the preparation is the prerequisite of all planning." Horace Slughorn remarked when Harry and Ron came in. "Ah. Harry, my boy, I was beginning to worry. We've brought someone with us, I see."

"Ron Weasley, sir." He answered. "But I'm dead awful at Potions, a menace, actually. I'm gonna..."

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out." Horace assured. "Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out."

"Whoops!" Amelia declared looking around. "Daddy?"

"I haven't actually got my book yet, and nor has Ron." Harry admitted his gaze shifting to Amelia, a very confused Amelia that used to run in and out of the classroom throughout the day, but Horace was not her daddy.

"Get what you want from the cupboard. Now, as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning." the boys moved to cupboard, one was newer the other was torn and used. They fought over the new one, Ron held it up victoriously. Harry grabbed the scribbled on one.

"Any ideas what these might be?" Horace lifted a vial. "Yes, Miss...?"

"Granger, sir." She answered. "That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion."

"It's terribly tricky to make." Horace agreed. Amelia moved forward jumping up on the counter. "Excuse you."

"I'm Amelia." She answered as if this was normal because indeed it was normal, she always helped her daddy with potions lessons.

"And this is Amortentia... the most powerful love potion in the world." Hermione remarked looking at the third vial before them. "It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example, I smell..." She breathed it in. Confusion filled her as she caught the scents. "...freshly mown grass, and new parchment, and... ...spearmint toothpaste." she blushed turning her head down.

"Let me smell!" Amelia declared grabbing the vial. 

"Now, Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible." Horace grabbed it back and Amelia pouted up at him. "But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." Horace agreed closing it up, the girls sighed leaning back. 

"Sir? You haven't told us what's in that one." Harry questioned. Amelia reached for the love potion grabbing it quickly and running off. 

"Oh, yes. What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen... is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as--"

"Liquid luck."

"Yes, Miss Granger. Liquid luck." Horace agreed. "Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you will find that all of your endeavors succeed. At least until the effects wear off. So this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck to the student who, in the hour that remains... manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death... the recipes for which can be found on page 10 of your books." Horace remarked. "I should point out, however, only once did a student manage to brew a potion... of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence."

"MAMA!" Amelia declared. "Theres a strange man in daddys room." 

"Oh, honey, he's in the defense against the dark arts room this year." Avalon corrected. "You remember we spoke of it last night." 

"Oh... no. I dont remember that. Why is he in daddys room?" Amelia questioned again. 

"Daddy got a new room."

Severus loved being defense against the dark art professor. He was trying to help draco, prepare him, keep him safe, he knew how much Avalon adored Draco and the more he knew, even if it was for defensive purposes and not for attacks that would be better than what the monster in pink was teaching them. But Severus did miss Amelia running into the classroom. He kept looking to the door waiting for Amelia to come charging in, all morning he waited for lunch break so he could go to their chambers and hug his family. 

"I found a love potion daddy, well dont tell mama but i stole it. But he was in your classroom, how rude!" Amelia declared finding Severus in the halls. Severus scooped her up. 

"A love potion? What could you do with a love potion?" 

"I dont know, what does love potions do?" Amelia questioned. Severus chuckled taking the vial from her. He put her down as she ran to the twins room flying a toy dragon over them. 

Severus kissed Avalon spinning her around the moment he got back. Her trapped her in his arms kissing her neck before resting his chin on her shoulder.

"What do you smell?" He nodded to the vial. She picked it up, delicately from his hand. 

"Is this your cologne?"avalon questioned. Severus smiled kissing her neck.

"Is it?" He mused

"It smells like you." Avalon agreed

"Good." Severus agreed attacking her lips, she smiled into his kiss.

"What is it? Whats with that smile?"

"Amelia what does it smell like?" Severus questioned when she came back. She gave it a good sniff.

"Like cookies. When mommy makes me cookies and daddys old dusts books." Amelia answered. Avalon stared back at him.

"Its amazing isnt it." Severus agreed. 

"What?" Avalon questioned. "What do you smell?" 

"It is hard to describe the smell." Severus remarked. "It's that look you get when you smile, its piano keys, its..." he kissed her again. 

"You can smell how I smile?" 

"It's that drink... we got when we first met and I fell in love. It's all things you."

"Magic."