34. Salamanders

Fire Dwelling Salamanders, also called Fire Salamanders, were small, magical fire dwelling lizards that fed on flames.

How was Avalon supposed to focus when Harry, precious little Harry was going to be thrown to the wolves. Everyone was have a fit, he was too young, Hogwarts already had a participant. Albus said it wasnt up to them, the cup has chosen. But Harry demanded he didnt put his name in. 

Salamanders were born out of salamander fires, and lived as long as the flames they were birthed from continue to burn. However, if they were fed on pepper, they could survive outside out of its flames for up to six hours. The colour of the Salamander depended on the heat of its birthing fire, and produces hot flames itself.

 Avalon rubbed at her temple. She heard harrys pleas that she didnt want to be in the tourney, he didnt do it, he didnt break the spell and cross the line. They had to believe him. 

"Well of course he is lying." Maxine demanded.

"The hell he is. The goblet of fire is an exceptionally powerful magical object, only an exceptionally powerful conjurer could have hoodwinked it. Magic way beyond the talents of a fourth year." Moody corrected.

"You seem to have given this a fair bit of thought Mad-Eye." Igor challenged.

"It was once my job to think as dark wizards do Karkaroff perhaps you remember?" Moody hissed.

"That doesn't help Alastor. Leave this to you Barty." Albus begged.

"Is he going to be okay?" Avalon questioned. "They are not going to let him... compete right?" Severus shrugged sitting beside her as Amelia played with her doll house.

"What are you reading about?" Severus questioned. 

"Salamanders."  

"The rules are absolute, the goblet of fire constitutes a binding magical contract. Mr Potter has no choice, he is as of tonight... a tri-wizards champion." Karkaroff corrected. 

Salamander blood had powerful regenerative and curative properties, and was used as an ingredient in the brewing of many potions. The Fire Dwelling Salamander was a rare corporeal form of the Patronus Charm.

The maximum number of hours a salamander could survive out of fire as well as the number of legs most salamanders had was six, and as such, salamanders were used in the runic alphabet to represent the number six.

"I should check on Harry." Avalon remarked. 

"You are not his mother." Severus corrected. 

"I know but... I feel like he needs a hug." Avalon corrected. Severus sighed. 

"He is probably still being interrogated." Severus admitted. Avalon slumped back in her hair.  "I will talk to Albus, see if... I can't find anything out." Severus offered. 

"Thank you." Avalon agreed turning back to her book. Her lips twisted as Severus rose up. 

There were different types of salamanders, such as the blue and the scarlet variety. Scale rotwas an illness that can affect both salamanders and dragons. If left untreated, it could cause a salamander's tail to detach.

"Do you know if Salamanders are like lizards and can live without their tail, grow a new one?" Avalon questioned. 

"I dont know, I'm sorry my love." Severus corrected. 

There also existed a variant species called the Frost Salamander that instead of dwelling in fire was closely associated with ice.

A unique cure for Scale rot that has been known to work is to rub chili powder on the affected areas. Avalon stared down at that. 

"Chili powder as a treatment?" 

Severus stared back at her. She tossed the book aside. 

"My brain hurts, talk to Albus for me." She begged. "I'm going to try and find Harry." 

"Be careful." Severus instructed. 

" This can't go on Albus. First the dark mark, now this?" Minerva declared.

"What do you suggest Minerva?" Albus countered.

" Put an end to it. Don't let Potter compete." She demanded.

" You heard Barty the rules are clear."

" Well the devil with Barty and his rules. " She spat. "And since when did you accommodate them..."

"Master I too find it difficult to believe this mere coincidence, if we are to truly discover the meaning of these events perhaps we should for the time being let them unfold." Severus countered carefully. Minerva gaped back at him.

" Do nothing?? Offer him up as bait? Potter is a boy not a piece of meat." She demanded.

"I agree with Severus. Alastor, keep an eye on Harry will you?" Albus requested.

"I can do that." Moody agreed.

"Don't let him know though, he must be anxious enough as it is... knowing what lies ahead. Then again, we all are."

"Harry, are you alright?" Avalon questioned. 

"I didnt do it! I dont want to be a competitor!" Harry demanded. 

"I know you dont, who would want to be apart of that?" Avalon countered, Harry hugged her tight she wrapped her arms around him. "OH honey," She whispered. 

"They are making me compete." Harry told her. "Said the cup chose me." 

"But the rules, Profe-Headmaster Albus said under 17 can't-"

"I know but the cup, they said i can't get out of it, I didnt want to be in it to start!" 

"I believe you." Avalon assured. "It's going to be okay, we will help you." 

"How?" 

"I have no idea, this whole part of Severus world is new to me." Avalon admitted. "But I will try my best to help you." Harry nodded his lip quivering as he looked up at her. 

+

" I'm Rita Skeeter, I write for the daily prophet. But of course you know that don't you. It's you we don't know, you're the news. What quirks lurk beneath those rosy cheeks? what mysteries do the muscles mask? does courage lie beneath those curls? In short, what makes a champion tick. Me, myself and I want to know. Not to mention my rabid readers. So, who's feeling up to sharing? Mmm? Shall we start with the youngest. Lovely." Rita grabbed Harry by the hand and led him to the closet.

"This is cozy."

"It's a broom cupboard." harry corrected.

"You should feel right at home then." 

Harry blinked back at her. 

"