22. Cheeto

Honestly it was strange being back home. No magic staircases. No magical creatures. Flash got the run of their little home and he loved it. Avalon decided he needed a friend and they got him a buddy. A little orange kitty. They named him Cheeto.

Severus hoped this summer would prove to be fruitful in their baby journey but avalon kept getting her bleedings like clockwork and she stopped taking the tests.

It hasnt been a year yet. Severus had said. Avalon countered with I havent used birth control in three years. Three of five years of marriage and she didnt use birth control. Severus rarely used a condom before they were trying for real. Avalon wanted kids. Wondered how some of her favorite students were doing. It made her want her own little bundle of joy all the more.

"Maybe a third?" Avalon pondered as cheeto and Flash wrestled around the house.

"Cat?" Severus questioned. "Two is plenty." Avalon shrugged. They both knew she wanted to keep collecting animals until she had a baby. It was her way of coping.

Avalon and severus had gotten back into their routines. Their walks, beach days and lazy summer nights. Avalon was still studying up on her creatures. Had severus train her with flash cards she made.

It was something that had bonded them when they first started dating. Their love of learning. Avalon always got excited when a new case study came into the clinic as severus was gladened to use a new potion or spell.

Severus kissed Avalons cheek as he sat beside her on the couch that night. She had a cat in her lap. A book in her hand and a steaming cup of tea beside her. He wrapped an arm around her and she snuggled into hisnside not tearing her eyes from the page. He rested his chin on her shoulder pulling her closer into his arms. Avalon smiled resting her cheek against his.

Severus fingers stroked Cheetos fur his little butt rose up and then sunk back down when severus stopped. Again his little butt rose up purring loudly before it dropped back down. Severus chuckled as Flash ran up sprinting along the couch by their heads before flying off like superman.

Cheeto jumped down staring back at flash as he zoomed around.

"Meow." Cheeto said softly as his big green eyes followed flash around.

Avalon smiled before turning back to her book

Avalon smiled before turning back to her book. Then she heard Cheeto run off after Flash as they wrestled around. Another laugh escaped her.

"We can get another cat." Severus whispered

"I dont want another cat." Avalon admitted. "I want a baby."

"I know my love. Me too." He kissed her cheek and she put her book down curling up into his lap like a cat. He stroked her hair as they watched the cats run about.

+

Avalon and severus decided to go to a fertility clinic. She didnt want to do hormones or any injections, she just wanted to know if it was possible and why they werent getting pregnant, maybe it was them and their bodies, maybe Avalon and Severus should look into adoption, she knew that process could take a while. 

"I have ovarian cysts when I was a teenager," Avalon remarked. "Is that a problem?"

"Let the doctor tell us what they found," Severus encouraged as Avalon's nerves got higher. 

"Ms Snape," The doctor began. "Your egg supply looks great." 

"Really? Then why," Avalon silenced herself she under stood now. 

"Mr. Snape, you have a low sperm count, its not impossible for your to its just going to be harder for his little guys to get there." The doctor went on. Severus felt awful, it was his fault they werent getting pregnant.

"If you two wanted to try, sperm and egg implantation, we-"

"No, no, I looked into all that. I want it done the old fashion way or through adoption." Avalon corrected. "I dont want a test tube baby."

"I know its a new process, and it sounds scary but we are seeing good results." The doctor added. 

"It's also expensive." Avalon remarked having done her research. "We will keep trying... do you have any adoption clinics that you recommend in the area?"  The doctor looked between them before nodding. He pulled out a few broachers and put their pregnancy concoction of injections and nonsense Avalon didnt want to on top of the pile. 

"Just in case." the added. 

"Thank you for your time." Avalon agreed getting up. "But I dont want anyone pulling things out of me or implanting things in me." She put it back on his desk. "There are many children out there that need a home." 

"You are right." He agreed. "Good luck to you both." 

Avalon walked hand in hand with severus down the sidewalk. Severus offered to teleport them back home, Avalon liked to call it teleportation better, sounded cooler but right now she wanted to walk and clear her mind. 

"I'm Sor-"

"Dont." Avalon begged. "There is nothing you could have done. I dont blame you and like I said we can adopt... would you want to adopt?" 

"I would be open the possibility." Severus agreed.  

That night Avalon saw an owl in the window. She stared back at him as he pecked at the window.

"Sevy, Owl." She whispered. He rolled over mumbling into her back. "Sevy, at the window." She whispered not wanting to get up. She sent a gentle elbow back into him. He grumbled lifting his head, he waved a hand and the window opened and the owl entered, she pulled the scroll free handing it to severus as the stroked the owl. The cats eyes went wide jumping up, the owl quickly flew up to the top of the bookshelf, the cats were trying to figure out how to get up there and Avalon was awake now. 

"Avalon," Severus whispered. 

"What?" She whispered trying to corral the cats. 

"It's from Headmaster Dumbledore."

"What does he want?" Avalon questioned distracted as Flash climbed the side of the book shelf. "FLASH NO!"

"There is a little girl showing magical abilities in an orphanage in Brimingham," Severus remarked. Avalon spun around to face him. "He thought we might want to meet her."