39. Dance Partner

"The yule ball has been a tradition of the tri-wizard tournament since its inception. On Christmas eve night we and our guests gather in the great hall for well mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the yule ball is first and foremost... a dance. " Minerva declared. The boys groaned while the girls looked around giddy.

"Oh a ball!" Avalon declared fondly. Severus smiled back at her. "COme on, surely they need help, you are a great dancer sevy!" 

"Avalon-" Severus pulled her hand back. 

"Silence. The house of Godrick Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

"Try saying that five times faster." Fred whispered to george.

"Besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons, besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons.." they laughed out.

"Now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight." Minerva declared.

" Something's about to burst out of Hilary but I don't think it's a swan," Ron whispered to seamus.

" Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr Weasly, will you join me." She grabbed ron and pulled him to dance. 

" Now, place your right hand on my waist." Minerva requested. Ron looked horrified.

" Where?" Ron demanded. Avalon giggled. 

"I hated dancing in school I was so awkward around boys. I remember we did something similar to this and a boy came up to me and after our 15 seconds maybe of slow dancing I ran back to my seat. We were supposed to keep picking new partners but I was horrified." Avalon remarked. 

"You are so graceful though." Severus countered. Amelia spun around. "Amelia gets your grace clearly." he added picking her up. 

"Dance with me daddy!" 

"Oh now you can't say no to that little face." Avalon encouraged. 

" My waist. " Minerva repeated sternly, Ron did as requested with disgust and a whistle came from the crowd. " Now bend your arm. Mr Filch..." She looked to Filch for the music and he started it up. "One two three, one two three, one two three." Minerva counted off.

"Oi! Never gonna let him forget this are you?" Harry asked Ron's brothers.

"Never." Fred and george assured.

"Everybody come together." the girls stepped forward while the boys tried to stay far away. "Boys, on your feet. Oh Ms Avalon, please join us!" 

"Harry come dance with me!" Avalon requested reaching out a hand. 

"Oh you arent going to whistle at them?" Ron demanded. Harry smiled sheepishly up at her. 

"Sorry if I'm embarrassing you." Avalon whispered. 

"You arent." Harry assured. "But I'm not a good dancer I warn you." 

"Thats alright, most of dances are usually just jumping around." Avalon assured. "Only a few slow songs."

"We were like prom queen?" Harry questioned. 

"I didnt go to prom." Avalon corrected. "And I was an awkward girl, didnt know how to talk to boys back then." 

"I can't imagine that. You are so perfect." Harry corrected. 

"I'm not but thats sweet of you to say." 

"Alright, lets show them how its done." Severus remarked pulling Avalon to him, her smile was golden as she looked up at Severus leaning into him. Amelia ran around spinning to the music. She found draco in the crowd and stuck out a hand. Draco picked her up swaying to the music, Amelia giggled into his chest. Avalon smiled back at them. 

Harry didnt know how Malfoy could be so evil and yet so nice to Amelia. 

+

"Why do they always have to travel in packs? How are you supposed to get one alone to ask them..." Harry questioned watching a pack of girls pass.

"Blimey Harry, you slayed dragons. If you can't get a date who can?" Ron countered.

" I think I'd take the dragon right now." Harry murmured. "Ms Avalon!" Harry ran off. 

"Hi Harry, Ron, beautiful day." Avalon answered. 

"So did you have dates to all your dances?" Ron cut in understanding why Harry ran to Avalon. 

"I never had a date, I always went with my friends."  Avalon corrected. "It was more fun that way."

"Are you sure? Because that sounds lame." Ron admitted, Harry whacked him. 

"It's more fun hanging with your friends than stuck with a guy or girl you can't speak two words to." Avalon assured. "But you are not going to listen to me." Avalon realized following their gaze. "So... Good luck boys."

"I have study hall." Severus grumbled. 

"I have been wanting to read my new book." Avalon remarked. "Amelia and barry were in the middle of their picture book this morning too before we left for class. Why dont we join you?"

"I would love that." Severus agreed. 

"This is mad. At this rate we'll be the only ones in our year without dates." Ron declared in the library. Severus walked past and slapped Ron over the head to silence him. "Well, us and Neville!" Ron went on unphased. Avalon's jaw dropped as Severus moved to her. 

"What? He was being disruptive." Severus assured. 

"Oh Sevy." Avalon tsked. 

"Daddy whats this word?" Amelia questioned holding up her book. 

"Beautiful." Severus answered. "You and your mama are so beautiful." Severus added kissing Avalon's cheek. She settled back into the little couch in the corner of the library. Amelia repeated the word a few times before shoving Barry into her side as she continued to read him the story, making up most of the words and storyline as she went. 

"But then again he can take himself." Harry added glancing to Neville.

" It might interest you to know that Neville's already got someone." Hermione informed them softly. Ron gasped.

"Now I'm really depressed."

Fred handed Ron a note, it read "GET A MOVE ON OR ALL THE GOOD ONES WILL HAVE GONE!".

"Well Hermione, you're a girl." Ron added.

"Oh well spotted." Hermione murmured.

"Come on. It's one thing for a bloke to show up alone. For a girl it's just sad." Ron decided.

"I won't be going alone because believe it or not someone's asked me. And I said yes." Hermione shouted before marching off. 

"Oh no, severus how do you not get attached to the children and their lives?" Avalon questioned. 

"I dont like them." Severus answered honestly. "But I love you two."