43. Merpeople

Love Story / Viserys Targaryen / Alicent Hightower / POLY out now!
&
Lonesome / Sandor Clegane out now!

"I can not thank you enough for coming today and helping with the... thing we saw." Avalon remarked. "You are a Godsend, Newt Scamander." 

"Oh thank you, I love teaching." 

"You ever think about... teaching here? Hagrid is a sweet man but he's... well he's not... he doesnt always follow the rules and well I worry for the childrens safety. I'm a muggle and I can't protect them, can't cast spells and what not, I can teach them just find but book smart and magical smart are different. I'm sure since you are good friends with Mr- Professor- Headmaster Albus that he would gladly-"

"I'm afraid I do have my studies elsewhere that keep me traveling but I would love to pop back in when I'm in town." 

"Oh any time. Please I would love it, or even just for tea." Avalon added. 

"Wonderful." Newt agreed. "And it was wonderful to meet you, Amelia. Pretty like your mama." 

"I suppose you want pickett back." Amelia deflated. 

"I do, he is my faithful companion, I'm sorry my dear." Newt agreed. 

"When you come back can pickett and I play again?"  Amelia questioned. 

"I think he would like that very much,' Newt agreed with a wink to Avalon. 

+

 Assembled at the edge of the lake for the second task. The merpeople had taken something that 'you'll sorely miss' from each contestant, and the champions were given one hour to get it back.

"Welcome to the second task. Last night something was stolen from each of our champions. A treasure of sorts. These four treasures, one for each champion, now lie on the bottom of the black lake. In order to win each champion need only find their treasure and return to the surface. Simple enough. Except for this, they will have one hour to do so and one hour only. After that they'll be on their own." 

For all four champions, that missing something turned out to be an important person in their lives: Hermione Granger was Krum's captive, even though they barely knew each other but Vitkor was smitten with Hermione, Ron Weasley was, of course, Harry's; Fleur's little sister Gabrielle was taken to spur her on, while Cho Chang was Cedric Diggory's. 

Avalon looked around before realizing they were not going to see anything until they were done. 

"I brought a book to read. I told you to bring a book." Severus added as they got on the boat and sailed across. 

"I got my book mommy we can share." Amelia assured. 

"So we just wait for an hour?" Avalon questioned. "While they try not to drown?"

"They have to use their skills to figure it out." Severus agreed. They got across and realized why his gillyweed was missing now. "Potter did steal it." Severus hissed. 

Neville gave harry some gillyweed, that would help him breathe underwater but Avalon didn't know that, she thought for sure harry would drown. Avalon bit at her nails as she waited for harry to come up to the surface. It seemed like forever. Had she known about this challenge she would have... done something, she didn't know what, an oxygen tank perhaps. 

"Gillyweed." Severus muttered. 

''what was missing from your stock room again? What was that?"

'Gillyweed.' Severus informed her. "It's... your little potter will be fine if he did his research." Severus turned back to his book and Amelia held up her picture book as she sat in Avalon's lap. 

finally harry popped up with not just Ron but Gabrielle. Fleur hadn't gotten her sister, harry saved them both. Despite finishing third, it was decided that Harry would be awarded second place after Cedric Diggory for saving everyone and showing great courage. 

Hogwarts for the win. 

'I need a drink.' Avalon muttered. 'this competition is going to give me a heart attack.' Avalon told severus as she wrapped up harry in a towel. 'you did it, honey.' Avalon encouraged.

"GOod job Harry." Amelia agreed. Severus looked unimpressed. 

'thank you so much.' Harry said through shivers and chattering teeth.

 Going into the third task, Harry and Diggory were tied in first place with Krum in second and Delacour positioned third.

Avalon was just grateful that they were all alive for the thrid and final challenge.