57. Truth

Christmas was celebrated three days later. Amelia didnt care that it was late, she was glad to rip open the presents and the cats were glad to have wrapping paper to tear through and boxes to rummage through.

"The castle has been quiet." Avalon remarked softly. Severus nodded reading through a new book. "The children are never this quiet." She added. "They are up to something or they are scared to have fun now that Delores is ruining Hogwarts." Severus put his book down and stared back at her.

"Or they are in a cookie coma like Amelia." Severus offered. "You know next Christmas we will have three children." Avalon beamed back at him.

"Hard to imagine that I was worried we wouldnt have one and now we are going to have three- while the scary man lurks and the pink lady threatens and-" she touched his arm. The death eater mark had faded when Voldemort left but it was unfortunately brighter and more vibrant now.

"I'm sorry." Severus whispered. 

"We never really spoke of it." Avalon remarked. "It must have been a dark time in your life."

"It was." Severus agreed. "But you my dearest Avalon are the light." He assured. Avalon kissed him gently. She couldnt even begin to imagine what the world would look like if Voldemort got his way.

What would happen to her if Voldemort got his way. 

''How will we do this?'

"Where will we meet?'

"What if Umbridge finds out!''

''We would all be dead!' the children started to fret about their half assed plan.

''harry could teach us, hes the only one that has used defensive magic.'

'no we need a professional.' Harry told Hermione.

"The teachers can't be trusted." Hermione corrected.

"Avalon can." Harry whispered.

"She's a muggle, she can't help us." Ron corrected.

+

The Thestral tail hair was a powerful and tricky substance that could be mastered only by a witch or wizard capable of facing death. It should be noted that this substance could be used as a core in a wand's conception and it was used to create the most powerful wand known by wizards, the Elder Wand.

"Severus whats an elder wand?"

"A powerful wand." Severus answered. "Possibly the most powerful."

"Do Thestral's not shed like normal animals? Because when brushing out horses they loose stray hairs all the time. Seems like a lot of wands could be really powerful." Avalon added. "But... magical beings are different." 

"That they are." severus agreed. 

The most well-known ability of these beasts was their invisibility to those who had not seen death. In other words, they were only visible to people who had seen someone dying and fully accepted, understood and internalized the concept.

Thestrals had an extraordinary sense of smell and would easily recognize the smell of blood and fresh flesh, even if the source of the scent was rather distanced. Avalon's face puckered. 

They also had quite a useful sense of direction. The Thestral could understand exactly where their riders needed to go, even if the beast itself might or might not be familiar with the terminus in question. If their riders had a certain destination in mind, they only needed to say the destination and the creature would diligently carry them to the intended location — much like owls do with letters.

"I saw a horse show once," Avalon remarked. "They... mirrored their rider, dancing it seemed, it was beautiful." Severus smiled back at her. "Are the thestrals trained?"

"Somewhat. But they roam and do as they please most of the time." Severus remarked. "They know they are safe here, I think so they help when requested for bringing the students in at the beginning of term. 

+

Classes were starting back up and Severus was in his classroom, always making new drafts. Avalon came in lifting up a little vial, she smiled at the way it seemed to sparkle. 

"What's this?" Avalon questioned. 

"Um... truth serum." Severus answered. "It's not done yet."

"Severus you need not give me a potion, yes I bought Cheeto another toy, I know he doesnt need it but it was shaped like a pizza and he loves how it crinkles." Avalon declared, Severus laughed out not expecting Avalon to say that. 

"I... another toy?" Severus mused. 

"Whats it for then?" Avalon questioned. 

"The cats I assume." Severus mused. 

'The truth serum.' Avalon answered examining the vial. 'who is this for?'

'Headmistress Umbridge.' Severus said blandly. Stirring the last of the potion. 'can you get me  the jobberknoll feathers."

"Sure because I know what that is." Avalon agreed. Severus chuckled reaching past her. she handed him a fresh vial. 

 ''so... what does she have planned for the serum?'' Avalon let out a slow breath bringing a hand to her stomach.

"Its for the best we try and behave." Severus assured. Dorlores was being a manic and he didnt want umbridge digging around in avalons head. But avalon was worried. This woman was changing everything. The world was changing and she was about to have two more kids.

'Dumbledores army... do you see this?' Dolores questioned severus, more like demanded it of them.

"Thats why you want truth serum? To threat people to tell you what they know about an army?" Avalon questioned. 

"I wasnt talking to you, muggle." Dolores demanded. 

"Well-" Avalon began with all the sass in the world. 

'you are an insufferable little-''

''watch yourself,' severus warned taking threatening step in front of Avalon.

'I will get to the bottom on this. With or without your help.' Dolores snapped, leaving them be.

"Shes bitchier than usual." Avalon muttered. 

"She is. Come on now." Severus requested. "We have classes to get to."