63. Terrify

Severus was finally getting his shot as defense against the dark arts professor. Avalon wanted to be excited for him, she was- but she was also nervous. The potions classroom was the closest to their chambers but Avalon was glad to get out of the dungeons for a while. 

'Hogwarts what are pathetic excuse for a school. I think I would rather throw myself from the astronomy tower then suffer another years of charms.' Draco muttered on the train ride back to hogwarts.

'What does that mean?' Pansy questioned. Avalon knew that Draco was a handsome boy and knew that all the slytherin girls wanted him. Knew they flocked to him, he was basically royalty it seemed. 

''I don't think I'm going to be here next year.' Draco told them but the luggage compartment above them seemed to move catching Dracos attention, he looked up to it but it was empty but he sensed something when we pulled up to Hogwarts. Draco was the last to leave he told his friends to go on without him closing the compartment door and window sealing shut, draco readied his wand.

'Didn't mommy every tell you it was rude to spy potter!' draco declared harry fell to the ground immobilized, draco kicked him on the face. 'That was for my father.' he said 'enjoy your trip back to london' he covered harry back up with his invisibility cloak as draco got off. But Luna found him, walking him back to Hogwarts.

Once the students were inside and the gates were shut a barrier was placed around the school.

"Why are they searching the children?" Avalon questioned. "You know they tried to search Harwin! HE's a baby! I thought things were going to be better with Monster in pink gone. This is still strange, Sev." 

"Well with Voldemort back they have to be careful." Severus reminded her. 

"I suppose." Avalon agreed. "but the children? What would they sneak into-"

''Its not a cane. Its a walking stick!' Draco shouted 'and is belongs to me!' draco reached for it as it was being man handled by flitch. 

"Severus go help the boy." Avalon instructed and Severus moved forward. 

''Its alright mr filtch I can vouch for mr Malfoy.' Severus said coming up behind him. 'Come on Draco, much to do, don't want to be late.' Severus took the walking stick from flitch spinning it in his hands as they walked.

"Hi Ms Avalon." Draco said softly. 

"Hi honey, you have a good summer? I missed you, I didnt get to see you at all." Avalon remarked hugging him. Draco held onto her. 

"It was fine." Draco felt like he reverted into a little boy in need of comfort when Avalon was around, be gone the bad boy and hello the scared little boy. "I missed you too." Draco agreed. Severus knew what was coming and although he was a great wizard he didnt know how all of this would end, he had his suspicions of course, but death to Albus this soon... the world was not ready for that. 

Severus wasnt ready to be the villain.

"First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff..." Albus declared. "Horace Slughorn. Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say... has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts... will be taken by Professor Snape." Avalon smiled back at Severus, grabbing his hand. Harwin and Emmalina were staring around at the children from their stroller, this was their first sorting ceremony, first banquet, first full year at hogwarts and Avalon loved how attentive they were as they watched the children. 

"Snape?" was echoed around, Severus sat at the head table, finally getting the position he wanted, a smug smile crossed his face.

"Now, as you know ...each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once there was a young man, who, like you ...sat in this very hall..." Albus said slowly as he looked around the room. "...walked this castle's corridors, slept under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name? Torn Riddle." Albus declared. Severus gave Avalon's hand a squeeze. Amelia knew things were different but she also knew that her parents were going to keep her safe so she tuned out Albus, as her father always said, he talked forever!

 "Today, of course... ...he's known all over the world by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight... I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour... ...this very minute, perhaps... dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls." Albus declared and it felt like he was looking at every single student, locking eyes with each and every one of them. "But in the end, their greatest weapon is you. Just something to think about. Now, off to bed. Pip-pip." 

"Heavens, terrify the children." Avalon whispered. 

"Yes, its his strong suit." Severus agreed. "Come on, it has been a long day, we should get some rest, get the littles to bed."

"I'm a big kid." Amelia corrected. 

"Can you read Harwin and emmalina a bed time story?" Avalon questioned as they headed back. The children chuckled, seeing Severus pushing a stroller was something none of them ever expected to see, it broke their image of Severus Snape is an evil monster when he was so sweet to his family.