37. Dragon Eggs

New Years Day / Roy Kent out now!

" Why so tense Potter? My father and I have a bet you see. I don't think you're gonna last ten minutes in this tournament.  He disagrees. He thinks you won't last FIVE.'' Draco shouted out.

" I don't give a damn what you or your father thinks Malfoy. He's vile and cruel, and you're just pathetic." Harry shouted back. Harry walked away and Draco angrily tried casting a spell. Mad-Eye appeared seemingly out of nowhere and quickly turned Draco Malfoy into a ferret.

"I'll teach you to cast when someone's back is turned." Moddy cackled.

" Professor Moody what are you doing?" Minerva shrieked. Avalon had been having a nice chat with Minerva when they heard a commotion in the courtyard.

"Teaching." Moody answered calmly

"Is that a student?" Avalon asked horrified.

"Technically it's a ferret." He corrected. Avalon gasped looking to Minerva to help the poor child. Mad-Eye was making the ferret hover around.

"Stop it that is enough!" Avalon demanded, not knowing who the student was but no student should be tormented as such. He sent it up the  trouser leg of one of Draco's friends. He squirmed uncomfortably before Draco ran out. He ran to Avalon before Minerva waved her wand, Avalon tensed worried she would get hit with a spell. She stared back at Draco cowering on the ground behind her. She knelt beside him holding him.

"Oh sweetie," Avalon cooed running a hand through his hair. Harry watched them and wondered how Avalon could be so sweet to him and to draco. They were the complete opposite of each other.

" My father will hear about this!" Draco shouted once turned back.

"Is that a threat! " Moody demanded, his eye, his mad eye swirling around. Draco ran off, Avalons head snapped towards his pounding footsteps.  " I could tell you stories about your father that would curl even your greasy hair boy! It doesn't end here!" he shouted after draco.

"We never use transfiguration as a punishment, surely Dumbledore told you that." Minerva demanded as Avalon chased after Draco.

"Do you need the doctor... or a veterinarian?" Avalon questioned.

" He might've mentioned it." Moody agreed nonchalantly.

" Well you will do well to remember it."

"I worked at an animal hospital." Avalon remarked when she caught up with draco.

"Would you have kept me as a pet if Professor McGonagall didnt turn me back?" Draco whimpered.

"Of course, but your father and my severus would have found a way to turn you back to your handsome less furry self." Avalon assured. Draco smiled back at her as she continued to rub his back in a soothing and circular motion.

"Mad eye." Severus scoffed. "Turning students into animals. He should be removed from the premises."

"I agree." Lucius spat. "Godrick the nerve of that man! My son! My son!" Lucius looked to avalon still soothing draco. "Thank you, Avalon." He added. "I never thought a woman like yourself would be able to... adapt to such..." lucius kept hesitating looking her over as if the words he spoke here not grand enough.

"Magicalness?" Avalon offered innocently. Lucius gave a tight nod.

"Old friend I keep recommending you for defense against the dark arts. I know you will do well." Lucius added. "Maybe this is your year. Albus gets his old head out of his wrinkly ass and sees you are the man for the job."

"Thank you, Lucius." Severus agreed. "But im afraid Albus doesnt see things so clearly," avalon looked between them.

"Stay for supper." Avalon decided. "The first trial is tomorrow. Im sure you want to stay for that lucius."

🐉

The challenge was to retrieve a golden egg from one of four immensely dangerous fire-breathing beasts, avalon shook her head holding Amelia close.

"This is a bad idea. A horrible idea. The children are going to d-i-e." Avalon whispered

"Diiii-e. Die?" Amelia questioned.

"Too smart for your own good." Avalon informed her.

"They will probably be fine." Severus corrected.

"Severus thats harry down there. Not just any student." Avalon declared.

"I know who he is." Severus assured.  "Have faith in him," severus requested kissing her temple.

Although avalon was a nervous wreck somehow it ended with all four champions still intact. Potter and Krum came out in joint first place. Krum opted for a Conjunctivitis curse to confuse the dragon, whereas Harry went for the more sensible option of summoning his broomstick to play to his strengths as a skilled flyer.

Avalon couldn't breathe. Harry got a Hungarian horntail. The most dangerous of dragons. She had been reading up after her visit to the dragons with Hagrid and she prayed that Harry would get a more tame dragon but he did it. He survived.

Luckily, harry was fast, quick on his feet and avalon had stood gripping severus hand, her nails digging into his nervously as they watched. Severus face pinched at her grip but he let her, he knew how much she cared for him, didnt quite like it but he knew that his avalon had a big heart.

When harry got the golden egg avalon felt tears fall down her face in relief. But the weight on her chest was still there, still strong, like an elephant, compressing down on her as her heart pounded against the weight, she felt like she was going to explode with nerves. 

It was like harry knew and after he was done he ran up and hugged her tight. The weight lifted as she held him close. She rested her chin on his head.

"You did so good Harry." Avalon declared. Severus stared back at them as Amelia joined in on the hug, hugging harrys legs. "Im so proud of you!"

"Thanks m-" he almost said mum. He wanted to. She was the closest thing he had to family and she was married to the man that hated him most in the world. "Mrs Avalon," harry corrected.

"Your family would be proud too. Probably even more terrified than I." Avalon added kissing the top of his head.

This was only the first challenge, what were they up to for the next two?