32. Curse

"Your attention please! I would like to say a few words. Eternal glory, that is what awaits the student who wins the tri-wizard tournament. But to do this that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks."

"And they let children participate in these extremely dangerous tasks." Avalon agreed looking to Severus. "Rules and regulations should be in place, just like Quidditch? Is this like Quidditch?" Severus chuckled. 

"What do you mean?" 

"Children falling out of the sky." Avalon clarified. 

"For this reason the ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this we have the head of the department of international magic cooperation Mister Bartimus Crouch." Albus went on.

"See rules, you love rules." Severus agreed. 

Thunder roared overhead, rain began leaking through the roof and screams broke out. Amelia jumped up clinging to Severus, he held onto her. Many of the children had noticed Severus and Avalon this year, many noticed the little girl and wondered how this little girl found comfort in severus and not misery.

 A strange man stood in the doorway, he casts some magic upwards and sealed the roof. Peace was restored but everyone kept their gazes stuck on the mystery man. Avalon stared up in amazement. Magic was awesome, simple as that.  

"Who is that?" Avalon questioned. 

"He's got on eye patch, does he only have one eye?" Amelia declared pointing at him. 

"Mad eye moody." Severus agreed softly.  "Alastor Moody." He corrected. "He's an aura." 

"My dear old friend, thanks for coming." Albus added as Mad Eye made his way down the aisle.

" That stupid roof." mad eye grumbled before he took a sip of his drink he kept at his hip.

" After much deliberation the ministry has concluded that for their own safety no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed to put forth their name for the tri-wizard tournament. This decision is final." some of the younger students boo'd out.

"An age limit I suppose thats fine." Avalon agreed. "But what challenges will they face?" 

" That's rubbish! You don't know what you're doing!" George shouted. Being under the age limit he was furious. 

"Silence! " Albus shouted. Dumbledore cast magic over a box which melded into a goblet containing a blue flame. Avalon stared back at the flame it was beautiful. "The goblet of fire. Anyone wishing to submit themselves for the tournament merely write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly, if chosen there's no turning back. As from this moment the tri-wizard tournament has begun."

They tucked Amelia in that night and Avalon had a million questions. Flash zipped around the room pouncing on every shadow. 

"Yes. The tri wizard tournament...'

'that sounds fancy.' Avalon murmured to severus. "But the more I hear about it the more I think its sounds deadly." Severus glanced back at her as he got changed. "So what are the challenges?" 

"Not even Albus knows that yet." Severus remarked. At least he assumed the challenges were revealed right before each of the challenges. 

"So like... American ninja warrior type stuff?" 

"No... well... They will have to use their minds, their strength, their courage, their skills of magic." 

+

"Last breakfast before classes start- oh Amelia you are going to love it!" Avalon declared. "So what do we want for breakfast honey?" Severus moved swiftly to her kissing her attacking her lips with his own. When he pulled away she was breathless. Amelia giggled out

"She said breakfast. You cant eat mama." Amelia corrected. Severus chuckled.

"But she is so delicious." Severus corrected. Avalon blushed. 

" Ministry malcontent. And your new defense against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?" Mad eye asked but didn't wait to give any answers before he kept going. "When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

"Three sir." Hermione answered.

"And they are so named?" Mad eye urged.

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of any one of them will..." Hermione hesitated.

"Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban. " Mad eye agreed. "Correct. Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!" He demanded.

" Aw no way, the old codger can see out the back of his head." One of the boys whispered. Mad-Eye threw the chalk he was holding in anger.

"So, which curse shall we see first?"

"Dismissed." Severus drawled out. Avalon waved to the students as they headed out. "Hello, darling." Severus said kissing her as she approached. "How is Amelia settling?" 

"She's down for a nap. THe cats and Barry the bear are watching her." Avalon assured. "I was wandering about and stumbled upon the defense against the dark arts class." 

"Of course you did." Severus agreed. "What was Moody teaching?" 

"Unforgivable curses." Avalon informed him. Severus lips pursed and brow furrowed. 

"Unforgivable curses? I... are you sure you heard him right?" 

"The imperious curse." Avalon recalled. "The cruciatus curse and... a killing curse. He said Harry- well I assume its harry the way all the children looked at him when Moody said 'the only person known to have survive it is in this room.'" Avalon informed him deepening her voice. "That man. Vold-"

"yes." Severus agreed pulling her to the back of the classroom as the next group of students came in. 

"How did he survive?" Avalon questioned. 

"Some say it was a mothers love." Severus remarked softly. "It is a magical thing." He added touching her cheek.