ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 12: ᖴOᖇᗰIᗪᗩᗷᒪE ᖴOᖇᑕEᔕ

There are those who feel that time stands still for them, refusing to move forward as swiftly as it does for others. Whether it be in matters of love, work, relationships, or status, the passage of time seems to be sluggish. Meanwhile, the world around them undergoes constant change, whether they embrace it or not. Many advise savoring each moment while it lasts, but what if one day those precious moments become nothing more than faded memories, snatched away by the relentless hands of time?

One month had slipped by, and the tides seemed to be in Elena's favor, for the most part. Unfazed by recent events, she carried on with her life as if nothing had occurred. It was her innate ability to shrug off trivial matters that didn't define her character. Moreover, she understood that a resilient mindset was the key to conquering any obstacles that came her way. This unwavering mental strength was instilled in her by her father, James McLain. Through his guidance, James had equipped her with the necessary tools and wisdom to navigate the treacherous path to success, just as he had done throughout his illustrious career.

Under the gentle illumination of the moon, their faces embraced a soothing, silvery radiance as they gracefully circled the Central Park. In an effort to shed some weight, Elena had set a condition for Erica to join her on these post-work jogs. The events that had unfolded during their last encounter at Elena's house had left Erica feeling utterly mortified and plagued with guilt, realizing that her loyal friend was merely extending a helping hand. Erica was acutely aware that it was ultimately her own duty to uplift herself, and that Elena's support was merely a means to aid her in rediscovering self-confidence.

"Oh, Elena... I can go no further! I am utterly drained!" Erica's voice trembled, her breaths heavy and uneven, revealing the extent of her fatigue. Desperately seeking respite, she leaned her weary body against a towering tree trunk. Elena's response was a weary sigh as she approached her friend, her arms folding across her chest as she stared at Erica's disheveled appearance.

"Erica, we've been on the run for weeks now, but I can't see any improvement in your performance! Wouldn't you expect to manage at least 3 to 4 miles by this point?" Elena voiced her frustration, her narrowed eyes questioning whether Erica was genuinely committed to adopting a healthier lifestyle.

"Elena!... I truly need your patience! Have faith in me! I'm giving it my all. It's just that this journey is incredibly challenging for me since my body hasn't fully adjusted to the new routines," Erica pleaded, desperately hoping Elena would comprehend the struggle she was facing. Elena, on the other hand, found it difficult to believe, as her friend hadn't made significant progress in terms of weight loss despite weeks of dedicated exercise and healthy eating.

"Erica, look at me! Are you honestly sticking to my diet?" Elena demanded, her eyes fixed on Erica with an unwavering determination. The thought of Erica deceiving her filled Elena with a potent mix of anger and disappointment. Deep down, an unsettling feeling gnawed at Elena, hinting that there was more to this situation than met the eye. Sensing the gravity of their conversation, Erica couldn't help but chuckle in response.

"What's been going on with you lately? Can't you see that you've become overly suspicious of everyone's actions and words? It's as if you believe that people are purposely deceiving you for their own entertainment!" Erica muttered, her gaze fixed on Elena. Elena's eyes widened in response to her friend's statement.

"What?...that's not true!" Elena muttered a response under her breath, causing Erica to shake her head in disbelief. She continued to stare at Elena, her gaze filled with a mix of concern and confusion.

"Do you ever realize how much you interrogate us, your friends, and basically everyone in the company? It's starting to feel like you're going overboard with this behavior," Erica boldly questioned. Elena was caught off guard by her friend's blunt observation. She struggled to respond because deep down, she knew Erica was right. Lately, she had been unintentionally suffocating everyone with her incessant questioning. Perhaps it was the mere thought of Carlton that was causing her frustration, a feeling she never expected to experience. She had convinced herself that it wouldn't affect her, but it was undeniable that it did bother her after all.