ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 62: ᗰᗩᖇᖇIᗩGE ᑭᖇOᑭOᔕᗩᒪ

At 6:30 am, he hit the road with determination, ready to claim what he knew was rightfully his. Last night had solidified what he had suspected all along - Elena's love for him, buried beneath her outward disdain. With his doubts finally laid to rest, he left without a word to Elena, speeding towards her family's estate in the early morning light.

His only mission: to halt the impending engagement announcement by facing Elena's formidable father head-on. As he approached the grand gates of the McLains mansion, a gatekeeper emerged, signaling the start of his daring quest.

"Good morning," he said, meeting the gatekeeper's inquisitive gaze. "I'm here to see Mr. McLain. It's important."

"Inform your boss that Carlton Callaway is outside and demands to meet with him immediately! Make sure he knows I won't leave until I've spoken to him," Carlton stated firmly to the gatekeeper. The man raised an eyebrow in surprise and hurried off to the gatehouse to relay the urgent message.

Axel let out a tired yawn as he made his way down the staircase, feeling the effects of a late night that left him drained. Despite his exhaustion, he couldn't afford to sleep in with a busy day ahead. Stepping onto the final stair, he was surprised to come face to face with a maid who seemed eager to speak to him.

 Stepping onto the final stair, he was surprised to come face to face with a maid who seemed eager to speak to him

"What's the matter, Grace?" he asked, studying her expression as she bowed her head slightly.

"Mister Axel, there's a visitor at the gate asking for an early meeting with your father! He insists it's urgent," Grace informed him, causing Axel to feel a twinge of nervousness.

"And who is it?" He asked.

"Mister Carlton Callaway, Sir," she replied, causing Axel to become completely wary of the situation.

"What on earth is he doing here?" Axel thought, his eyes displaying nothing but a mix of irritation and concern.

"Grace, inform him that today is not possible, and I will reach out to him later," he instructed in a low tone. Just then, James appeared behind him, descending the stairs and casting a curious gaze at their exchange.

"What's with those faces?" James asked with a curious smile on his face. Axel shot Grace a look, silently signaling for her to leave them alone, and she promptly complied.

"Father, it seems the architect for Elena and Jack's house has rescheduled for tomorrow! We'll have the afternoon free to celebrate the engagement," he fibbed, knowing that the architect had actually rescheduled for personal reasons. However, revealing Carlton's presence could jeopardize everything.

"How could he do that without consulting me?" James complained, raising an annoyed eyebrow at Axel. Axel smiled nervously as he tried to calm his father.

"Don't you recall that you instructed me to manage the scheduling? I did, and he genuinely couldn't make it today," he muttered, a faint grin tugging at his lips. James looked up sternly, sighing in disbelief. He turned to head towards the dining room when a loud, persistent noise echoed through the house from outside.