ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 61: TᕼE ᗯOᑎᗪEᖇᔕ Oᖴ YOᑌ

There is a common saying that suggests individuals may remember that others will forget what was said, forget what was done, but will never forget how they were made to feel. However, when someone treats you indifferently, it is best to believe them. It is simpler to protect yourself from getting hurt that way.

Carlton let out a disbelieving laugh at the words that had just escaped her lips. They were the words he had longed to hear from her for so many months before. It felt surreal, almost like a nightmare, as he never imagined she would actually say those words in his lifetime.

"You love me? Ha, you love me?" Carlton quipped, his tone stern, causing Elena to feel apprehensive about what his next reaction might be.

"I never expected you to stoop so low to seek sympathy from me! Do you really think I don't see through your act?" Carlton's voice rose, his dark eyes sneering at her. Elena felt her body tense at the unexpected display of anger from him.

"I...I don't understand?!" Elena stuttered, her voice shaky as she took a step back in fear. Carlton sighed in frustration, scowling in dissatisfaction.

"Elena, you're playing games again! Using me for your sick amusement! Do you honestly think I would fall for this because I'm desperate and heartbroken by you?" Carlton's words were laced with frustration and hurt as he confronted Elena.

"Do you honestly think I would lower my defenses just because you know how to manipulate me?" Carlton shouted in rage, the veins in his neck bulging. Elena's heart raced with apprehension as she witnessed his fury. Tears streamed down her face as she grappled with this unfamiliar side of him. He was closing himself off to her, mirroring the way she had once shut him out in the past.

"Carl!....Carl....please.... I'm not playing games with you! Please don't look at me like that! Like I'm the worst thing that happened to you!" Elena cried out in pain, her voice filled with desperation as she saw the deep anger and hurt in Carlton's eyes. Carlton groaned, feeling his chest tighten with emotional pain, instinctively clutching at his bare chest for comfort. The intensity of his emotions felt overwhelming, as if the pain and frustration coursing through his body might consume him.

"I love you so much that it hurts when you lie to me like that! You're soulless, Elena. Cruel and merciless to those who care for you! I feel like I'm dying because of you! I can't bear this anymore! Please, just leave and forget about me and what we had! I need to find myself somewhere away from you!" Carlton sobbed, his words echoing in the room as he watched Elena cry in response. Elena shook her head stubbornly, feeling a surge of adrenaline. She walked purposefully through the kitchen until she stood in front of him.

"I'M NOT LYING TO YOU! LOOK AT ME! LOOK INTO MY EYES! They are crying for you! They are crying because this can't be our reality!" Elena raised her voice as she extended her hands towards his face, gripping his ears as she drew him closer to her.

"I love you, Carl! And I need you to know that before I go forever!" Elena choked up, her voice filled with emotion as she gazed into his teary eyes, which widened in surprise.

"What?" Carlton mumbled, his realization sinking in at her words. Elena nodded slowly, her hands gently cupping his face.

"Tomorrow, my family will be officially announcing my engagement! And I am terrified to the core about it!" Elena confessed, her voice trembling with emotion.

"It just hit me that I'll be marrying someone I don't even love!" Elena mumbled in disillusionment, tears continuing to roll down her cheeks.

"If this is truly what you want, then I will grant it to you! Because I will find myself entangled with someone else, one way or another! Deep down, I wish it could have been you, if only our families weren't so against us!" Elena declared, her voice filled with a mix of resignation and longing.