ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 84: ᖴᗩTEᖴᑌᒪ TEᗩᖇᔕ

No matter the lack of understanding, disbelief, or ignorance, truth will remain unchanged. Exploring the lives of others can often reveal insights into our own selves. Elena observed her mother's pained expression as she delved into the past, reflecting on memories that seemed distant yet raw. The mention of her grandfather, whom she never had the chance to meet, brought a mix of curiosity and melancholy. He had passed away the year she was born, leaving behind a void that even Nonna's stories couldn't quite fill.

"Grandpa was a stern man with you?" Elena asked, her curiosity piqued by this new information about her grandfather. Martha's expression darkened as she gazed at Elena with a somber look, her lips pressed tightly together.

"He...he was a very reserved and stoic man, Elena! Never took a joke seriously, but was very much a meditative man about his family's wealth and reputation," Martha revealed, a sigh escaping her lips as she leaned wearily against the wall.

"I knew he wanted a perfect wife for his son, but I didn't know he would have been such a strict and authoritarian person with me!" Martha added, her voice tinged with a mix of surprise and disappointment.

"He controlled you?" Elena asked, her disbelief evident in her tone. Martha simply nodded in response to her question.

"He controlled my every move, I was becoming one of his subjects without me even realizing!" Martha said with a sorrowful smile, her chest heavy with the weight of memories that pained her.

F̳̿͟͞l̳̿͟͞a̳̿͟͞s̳̿͟͞h̳̿͟͞b̳̿͟͞a̳̿͟͞c̳̿͟͞k̳̿͟͞

"What's wrong, Nigel?" Martha inquired, noticing the change in his demeanor as soon as she entered the greenhouse where he was working

"What's wrong, Nigel?" Martha inquired, noticing the change in his demeanor as soon as she entered the greenhouse where he was working. Nigel let out a small sigh and rose to his feet, giving her a meaningful glance.

"Miss, isn't it obvious to you that your father-in-law hates it when you interact with me?" he uttered with slight annoyance. Martha's gaze drifted down to his clenched fists.

"I really don't want to lose my job! I really need this job because my family depends on it! I provide for them and I really don't want to risk it by befriending someone of your status! That would be truly ridiculous!" he said without hesitation. Martha felt her chest constrict at his words, her eyes widening in shock.

"How insensitive of you to say that to me, Nigel? I'm sorry about what happened! I...tried to explain everything to my father-in-law and he understood! I just wanted to give you back your jacket!" Martha's doe eyes conveyed sadness and disillusionment at his lack of consideration. Nigel sighed, his face hardening even more at her words.

"You truly don't understand, Martha? We can't be friends! Not when you are a McLain! He's your father-in-law, but to me, he's my boss! While he may have seemed understanding to you, to me, he simply tolerates until he can't anymore! If you truly appreciate me, please, don't even bother to look at me anymore! Act as if we've never met in your entire life!" Nigel stated firmly, his gaze steady, before swiftly exiting, leaving a tearful Martha in his wake. Unbeknownst to them, a pair of discerning eyes had been watching their encounter with keen interest, as fate continued to weave its intricate threads.