ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 68: TᕼE ᑭᖇEᗪIᑕᗩᗰEᑎT

Families don't have to be flawless, as perfection is unattainable for anyone. Yet, the true mark of a great family lies in their unity. Family signifies that no one is left behind or forgotten; they stand by you and remain present. Family isn't limited to shared last names or blood ties; it's about dedication and love. It involves being there for each other when it matters the most, having each other's backs, and choosing to love even on challenging days. It means never giving up on one another.

Regrettably, Elena found herself in a different scenario as she sat down for dinner with her family and Carlton. Carlton, seated beside Elena, methodically sliced a piece of meat and brought it to his mouth. He couldn't help but observe the discomfort that hung in the air, with each person at the table feigning affection towards one another.

Elena did her best to ignore the tense atmosphere and silent gazes that filled the room as she nibbled on a small piece of meat. She delicately picked up her glass of red wine, taking a sip to wash down the food a little, feeling the anxiety tightening her throat. After the awkward and agonizing dinner in the dining room, the family moved to the living room by the fireplace to listen to Axel playing the piano.

Feeling Elena's visible anxiety, Carlton gently brushed his hand over her thigh and gave it a comforting squeeze. Elena, unable to hide her unease, locked eyes with him and offered a soft smile in response, holding his hand in hers. Martha observed their tender moment, which brought a warm smile to her face.

Axel sat at the grand, glossy black instrument that resembled the night sky on a crisp summer evening, effortlessly drawing out unbelievably soothing and mesmerizing melodies. Lost in the music, his fingers danced over the keys like swallows skimming the surface of a pond in search of fish. While the melodies enveloped the room, James gazed into the distance, lost in memories of the good old days when he would play the piano for his grandfather back in Italy.

During those summers when he would journey to Italy for visits with his cherished late grandfather, James's eyes welled up with tears, a sight that immediately captured Elena's attention. She had never witnessed this vulnerable side of her father before. Observing this emotional moment, Martha swiftly took hold of James's hand and tenderly kissed the back of it. James reciprocated with a smile, leaning in to place a kiss on her cheek. Overwhelmed by her parents' display of affection, Elena squeezed Carlton's hand tighter, her heart fluttering. Despite being married for three decades, their love for each other remained as strong as ever.

After a few minutes, the melodies faded away as Axel concluded his performance.

"How wonderful, Axel! That was truly magnificent!" Martha praised her son's exceptional piano skills. Axel playfully bowed halfway, eliciting chuckles from the gathered guests. Taking a seat, he reached for a glass of wine on the table, his gaze shifting to Elena and Carlton's expressions.

"So, how are the wedding preparations coming along?" James suddenly inquired, breaking the quiet spell in the room. Carlton cleared his throat, sitting up straight on the couch.

"Elena and I have actually been considering pushing back the wedding by a couple of months," he announced, fixing his gaze on Elena's parents. Their expressions shifted to one of surprise. Elena steadied herself with a deep breath before joining in to elaborate on the situation to her parents.

"Yeah, it's just a bit overwhelming for us at the moment. Both of us are heavily involved in our companies, and we're in the midst of launching a new product. We've been putting in long hours and haven't had much time to properly prepare for the wedding," Elena explained, her voice tinged with a hint of exhaustion.

"I remember promising you, Dad, that I would marry in September when it was with Jack, but Carlton and I had a serious discussion and decided it would be best to move the date to November," Elena explained, her posture stiffening as she struggled to catch her breath. Axel chuckled at the sight and rose from his seat, hands on his hips.