ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 83: TᕼE ᗯEᒪᒪ Oᖴ ᗰEᗰOᖇIEᔕ

Keeping secrets can be a heavy burden

Keeping secrets can be a heavy burden. They weigh on the soul, making it difficult to find peace. Secrets have a way of growing darker with time, their shadows stretching further and further. It is the nature of secrets to eventually come to light, no matter how hard we try to bury them.

Martha gripped the edge of her shirt tightly, the fabric digging into her skin as she tried to push back the memories of that fateful day. Tears streaked down her face, leaving a trail of pain in their wake. She closed her eyes, trying to block out the images that haunted her, but they persisted, refusing to be silenced.

She knew deep down that hiding the truth would only lead to more suffering. It was better to face the consequences of her actions and confess, rather than let the darkness of her secrets consume her. Martha took a deep breath, steeling herself for what she knew she must do. It was time to bring her secrets into the light, no matter how terrifying it may be.

"Elena, you have wondered all these years why I stopped being a businesswoman. Why I retired so early and decided to stay at home, making your father the only reason our businesses grew." Martha said in a trembling tone.

As Elena gazed at her mother, laying motionless in bed, she couldn't help but question why Martha had relinquished her thriving career. She struggled to understand, attributing it to outdated notions of women's roles as solely caretakers of the home. Back then, society expected women to sacrifice their aspirations for the sake of their families, leaving little room for personal fulfillment.

"I had to walk away from that life because I felt like I was crumbling into mere ashes! There were moments when I wanted to disappear," Martha's voice wavered as she divulged the darkest thoughts she harbored during her younger years, grappling with her inner turmoil.

"You...you were going through a difficult time?" Elena whispered, the weariness evident in her voice as she suppressed the discomfort from her recent surgery. Martha nodded, her hand covering her mouth to quiet the soft sobs of sorrow escaping her lips.

"Mom, what...what happened?" Elena asked, her gaze fixed on her mother's pained expression. Martha turned her head slightly, her mind drifting back to those challenging moments in her past.

 Martha turned her head slightly, her mind drifting back to those challenging moments in her past