ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 42: Iᑎ TᕼIᔕ ᖴᗩTEᖴᑌᒪ ᖇOOᗰ

Tears are the unspoken words of the heart, too heavy for the mouth to utter. In the silence, answers linger. Nothing pained him more than the moment his anger dissolved into tears. The sheer fact that he couldn't protect her from the inevitable danger of being abused by a scumbag haunted him. Carlton felt utterly shattered and furious at himself for not arriving in time. He sat on a sofa near her bed, watching her peaceful sleeping face on the soft pillow. As he kept vigil, his heart heavy with grief for what she had endured, he rubbed his face in frustration, overwhelmed by it all.

Carlton's frustration deepened as he contemplated, "And to imagine that the scoundrel will still marry her, all because James won't jeopardize his presidential candidacy by calling off his daughter's engagement." A heavy sigh escaped him. Just then, a faint sound from the bed drew his focus. His gaze swiftly shifted to Elena, who was starting to awaken. Her face, a mix of confusion and drowsiness, contorted as she stretched in bed, attempting to rise as the covers slipped away.

"El?" he whispered softly as he cautiously moved closer to the bed, trying not to startle her. Elena felt the need for something to quench her dry mouth.

"Water," she uttered with difficulty, prompting Carlton to lean in closer, concerned.

"What... what is it?" He asked with worry, sitting on the edge of the bed and gently placing a hand on her shoulder. Elena struggled to make out the figure before her, her vision still blurry. She instinctively reached for her throat, trying to swallow.

"Water! Water, please!" she pleaded, still trying to make sense of her surroundings. Carlton immediately understood and hurried to the bedside table to pour some water into a glass.

 Carlton immediately understood and hurried to the bedside table to pour some water into a glass

"Here... Open your mouth a bit," he murmured softly, bringing the glass to her lips gently. Elena grasped the glass slightly as she took a sip, trying to quench the overwhelming thirst she felt. Carlton ensured she drank slowly to prevent her from choking. Once she had finished, he swiftly stood up and set the glass down. Elena recognized his presence, his cologne, and the comforting touch of the man assisting her.

"Carl?" She mumbled, struggling to open her eyes. Carlton turned his focus to her, watching as she tried to regain her vision.

"Yeah, that's me!"

"How are you feeling?" He asked softly, walking towards the bed and sitting right next to her. Elena's vision finally cleared, and she was completely startled to see Carlton in her house.

"What... what are you doing here?"

"Carl?" She protested, but soon regretted it as her head began to pound with pain. She grimaced at the unpleasant sensation and steadied her head. Carlton smiled at the clear look of recognition on her face as she realized it was indeed him.

"I'm glad you're awake... I can't say I'm glad that you're feeling better, because by your face, I can tell that you aren't," he said with tender eyes as he moved closer. Sitting on the edge of the bed, her eyes widened at his proximity.