ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 46: ᗰY Oᗯᑎ ᗪᗩᖇK ᔕEᑕᖇETᔕ

The issue with individuals who are mentally unwell is not their madness per se, but rather the unique form of madness they are experiencing, distinct from the norm. Keeping her word to Mrs. Carter from their early morning phone call, Elena arrived at the hospital. She moved through the halls like a zombie, caught between states of consciousness and unconsciousness.

The events that unfolded in Clover's house echoed through Elena's senses, tormenting her. The way her friends perceived her was slowly driving her insane. As she approached the private waiting room, she could hear excited gasps and hushed whispers nearby. Elena's heart skipped a beat as she crept closer to the entrance, dreading what she might find. And sadly, her worst fears were realized as she was confronted with the most devastating outcome.

"Jack is awake! He's back!" Gordon's announcement echoed through the room, reaching Elena's ears. Her senses became muddled at the words she had just heard. She paused in her tracks, tears beginning to pool in her eyes.

"He's awake?"

"It can't be!" The words reverberated inside her head as terror gripped Elena, painting a bleak picture of the future she had so recently discussed with dread. Tears streamed down her cheeks as those in the room expressed elation and relief.

"Oh, Elena."

"Your fiancé survived!" Elena heard her father's voice from a distance. Her gaze shot upward as he drew near. Mrs. Carter's eyes sparkled with joy at the sight of her future daughter-in-law.

"You're here! I'm so glad you're back!" Mrs. Carter exclaimed, wiping away her tears with a wide smile on her face. Elena's muscles tensed at the sight, and James swiftly guided her into the room.

"I thought you were going to arrive earlier this time," James whispered as he gently guided his daughter to a secluded corner, away from the joyful chatter about Jack.

"Sir, I'm sorry...I had another matter to attend to, so I couldn't be here earlier. Please forgive my tardiness," Elena apologized, meeting her father's gaze.

"I hope you have the decency to offer yourself for the night watch! It's the least you could do after coming here so late!" he murmured closely, his steady eyes revealing his annoyance. Elena nodded in response and promptly made her way over to Mrs. Carter.

"Mrs. Carter, I'm so relieved to hear such good news about Jack!" Elena expressed as she grasped Lea's arms. Lea beamed at Elena, her smile radiating joy and relief at the positive update about her son's condition.

"Elena, please call me Lea. I would like my daughter-in-law to address me by my name," she insisted, prompting a small smile to grace Elena's face.

"Thank you, I would very much like to feel comfortable with my future mother-in-law," Elena replied. Lea returned the smile, her hand gently moving to rest on Elena's face.

"You're such a busy woman, just like your mother once was! That's why I'm relieved to have you here with us now that we've received this good news about my son," Lea said, gently stroking Elena's cheek.

"Lea, please allow me to stay here tonight! I promise to take care of him," Elena said with a warm smile.

"I expected no less from you! Of course, you can stay, dear," Lea responded warmly. The others bid their goodbyes an hour later, leaving Elena to watch over Jack for the night.

As she observed his chest rising and falling, indicating his breathing, and monitored the steady readings on the machines tracking his oxygen and heartbeat, a sense of heaviness settled over her

As she observed his chest rising and falling, indicating his breathing, and monitored the steady readings on the machines tracking his oxygen and heartbeat, a sense of heaviness settled over her. Elena sighed and leaned back in her seat, feeling the weight of dread pressing down on her, like a heavy burden on her shoulders.

"Why is it so hard to get what I want in life?"

"Why do I have to sacrifice so much of myself without receiving anything in return?" Elena pondered, feeling a profound sense of dissatisfaction and disillusionment about her life in the months ahead now that Jack had indeed survived. Her gaze wandered to the bed, her breathing becoming more intense. The look in her eyes betrayed a deep resentment towards whatever thoughts were swirling in her mind during that silent moment.

"Perhaps you should put an end to it all!"

"Just end it all, and it will all be over!"

"Will it all truly be over?

"Will I ever be able to live the way I desire?"

"No one will ever find out!"

"You simply have to end it all tonight, or there will be no tomorrow for you!"

"But... there must be another way?"

"There's no other way, you have to end it now!"

"Now... now... now... now..."

"Now... end it now... I will have a tomorrow!"

"I want a tomorrow!"

"I should end it now," Elena mumbled to herself as she shuffled towards the end of the bed. Her mind consumed by shadows that she had mistaken for reality. Tears welled up in her eyes as she reached for Jack's oxygen mask, a dark expression on her face. Jack's features remained pale and marred by rough scars.

"Sometimes being dead is better," she whispered, leaning over Jack with glassy eyes. Gazing at his face, she reached for the pillow beneath his head and placed it over his face. Closing her eyes, she steeled herself to take the final step.

With all her strength, she pressed down on the pillow, cutting off his air supply. The monitor immediately detected distress and sounded off. Elena remained resolute, keeping the pillow firmly pressed against Jack's face, suffocating him.

"It's terrifying to realize that my greatest adversary is myself - my dark thoughts, my relentless self-doubt, my overwhelming anxiety that leads me to question everything, even my own existence."