ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 45: ᖴᖇIEᑎᗪ Oᖇ ᖴOE

From the moment we enter this world to the moment we leave it, we are empty-handed

From the moment we enter this world to the moment we leave it, we are empty-handed. It's a harsh reality that we spend our lives fighting for things we didn't possess at birth and can't take with us in death. Elena carried this weight her entire life, resisting societal expectations of settling down and starting a family. She refused to let go of the hard work, dedication, and sacrifices that had propelled her to success.

Despite her mother's persistent pressure to marry and have children, Elena remained steadfast in her resistance. The idea of conforming to traditional gender roles and surrendering to the cycle of reproduction filled her with dread. She saw marriage and motherhood as a path to stagnation, a betrayal of the hard-won independence and success she had achieved. Her mother's own life served as a cautionary tale, reinforcing Elena's determination to chart her own course, free from the expectations of society.

Martha, once a rising star and one of the most successful businesswomen in the country and the world, embodied all that Elena aspired to become. However, everything changed the day Martha chose to marry Elena's father. Her once vibrant career came to a halt as she retired prematurely, ceding the spotlight to her husband, who went on to become a stock market mogul. Martha's decision to prioritize her husband's success over her own marked the beginning of her stagnation, a stark reminder to Elena of the risks of sacrificing her independence and ambition for the sake of marriage and family.

"El?....El, please say something! You're making me feel like it's a bad thing!" Clover said anxiously, noticing Elena's shock and detachment from reality. She reached out, grabbing her friend's shoulder and shaking her gently, trying to bring her back to the present moment.

"El....?" Clover whispered, tears brimming in her eyes. Suddenly, Elena returned to the moment, her eyes flickering with confusion.

"Pregnant?... You're pregnant?" Elena exclaimed in disbelief as she rose slowly from the couch. Clover fought back the urge to chew on the insides of her cheeks, knowing that Elena's initial reaction would likely be denial.

"El... I'm two months pregnant! Please, let me explain everything!" Clover pleaded, but she was abruptly cut off by Elena.

"What are you going to explain to me, Clover? What explanation could there possibly be when you've made this decision without me?"

"Throwing all our plans, hopes, and dreams down the drain!" Elena snapped at Clover. Clover shook her head in denial, then stood up and approached Elena, clasping her arms and looking directly into her eyes.

"It was an accident! I never planned to get pregnant! I never wanted this! But!..." Clover revealed, but as soon as she said "but," Elena looked even more confused.

"But what?" Elena added irritably.

"But now I do!" Clover confessed, causing Elena to gasp in utter disbelief and disgust.

"El! I know we promised each other never to get pregnant, to be careful, and to never let anything derail us from our goals of success and freedom, but... we were young! We were too young to make such promises when life is unpredictable and challenging!" Clover expressed, hoping to make her friend understand her perspective. However, nothing could have prepared Elena for such a revelation.

"Now you too! Going against me just like Erica! Saying my thoughts are nonsense and rubbish?" Elena muttered with a piercing gaze. Clover shook her head as she held onto her tightly.

"No, that's not what I'm saying! El, we were only 18 when we made that promise, a decade ago! We were so young and naive to come up with something so rigid," Clover explained earnestly.

"We are grown women now, and we have to realize that this is the reality of life! We need to accept it and try to see things from a different perspective," Clover urged.

"El, I understand you've been traumatized, fearing that this will mark the end of your hard work and legacy. But the truth is, it will create a new chapter in your legacy! A new generation will begin the moment you embrace your past and future," Clover stated with conviction, hoping for some empathy and understanding from her friend. However, the sense of betrayal in Elena's eyes remained unyielding.

"I will never let you or anyone else convince me otherwise, because I have seen it firsthand! I witnessed how my grandmother and mother lost their vitality just because they had to marry and have children! That's not the life I want for myself! I told you this a decade ago, and I'm saying it again today! I refuse to sacrifice my hard work and dedication for the sake of a man!" Elena declared with fiery eyes as she forcefully pulled her arms out of her friend's grasp. She strode quickly toward the dining room to grab her purse, with Clover following behind, tears streaming down her face.

"I'll give you a month to find another job! Don't even try to persuade me, as I was very clear the day I hired you!" Elena stated with a poker face, looking down at her friend. Clover gripped the table, overwhelmed by a flood of devastating emotions.

"You're cruel, El!"

"I'm your best friend, practically your sister, and this is how you're treating me? Like I'm just another pregnant employee of yours!" Clover retorted with a mix of anger and disappointment. Elena didn't show much reaction to Clover's words, simply giving her a small nod.

"Yes, that's exactly how I'm treating you now! Like anyone foolish enough to let themselves be controlled by others!" Elena stated firmly. Clover choked back a sob as tears streamed down her face.

"You mentioned you're only two months pregnant, correct? There's still time to change this!" Elena stated abruptly, catching Clover off guard. Her head shook in denial and fear.

"I will never forget the day you persuaded me to accompany you to your procedure!"

"You terminated your own pregnancy!" Clover exclaimed with wide, tear-filled eyes, consumed by despair. Elena's muscles tensed at the words, causing her to grip her purse even tighter.

"You're a coward and a murderer, El! You preach about being everything you ever wanted, but the truth is, it's not what you desired, but what your father wanted for you!" Clover's accusation cut through the tension like a knife, leaving Elena stunned and speechless.

"You talk about not giving in to others, yet you're doing just that! Your every move is to please your father, and you're losing yourself in the process!" Clover's voice rose with guts and passion, finally revealing the truths she had kept bottled up about her best friend for far too long.

"Take back your condescending words! I don't need your judgment or opinions on how you perceive me! Do you really think I care?" Elena snapped, her eyes filled with anger. Clover held her ground, unwavering in her gaze.

"You do care! You're just too afraid to face your emotions like any normal person would. Instead, you bury them deep inside to avoid feeling the pain now. But the problem with keeping it hidden for so long is that eventually, it will all come to the surface," Clover said, her eyes squinting with tears and disillusionment. Elena, unable to bear the confrontation any longer, turned abruptly towards the doorway. But before she could leave, Clover's voice stopped her in her tracks.

"I wonder how Carlton would react to this, knowing you terminated his child without him even aware that you were carrying his baby!" Clover's words reverberated through the silent house, causing Elena's heart to skip a beat. It served as a stark reminder of a past where she had shut out all human emotions from her heart.

 It served as a stark reminder of a past where she had shut out all human emotions from her heart

Don't forget to vote 💕