ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 72: ᔕᕼᗩᗪOᗯᔕ Oᖴ TᕼE ᑭᗩᔕT

The past was an ever-present shadow, lying in wait just beneath the surface of the present. Despite efforts to move on, the past remained intertwined with their lives, like a persistent predator stalking its prey in the shadows. At times, what was needed was a sanctuary to unravel, a refuge where one could trust their shattered pieces will be safeguarded as they begin the process of rebuilding themselves.

Elena's eyes snapped open, jolting her out of her unconscious state. As she surveyed the unfamiliar and desolate surroundings, her gaze landed on a faint glimmer seeping through a slightly open door. Her brow furrowed in confusion as a shadowy figure gradually blocked the light, sending a shiver down her spine.

"Elena? Oh, you're finally awake! I'm so relieved," he whispered softly. Elena gazed at him with a puzzled expression, almost as if she still thought she was dreaming.

"Here, take these... they'll help you," he said gently as he moved closer and perched on the edge of the small bed.

"Where are we?" She murmured timidly, her eyes already glistening with anxiety, almost fearful of what his response might reveal.

"Hey, hey, calm down... Don't cry! It's not what it seems," he reassured as he tenderly ran his fingers along her arms and shoulders.

"Then where are we? Please tell me we weren't kidnapped by those guys!" She exclaimed, gripping his arms tightly. Keilander sighed softly and shook his head in response.

"Relax, we're safe here! This is where I live now. I know it's not the best place, but I have no choice but to hide from those people," he explained, gently tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. Elena slowly began to grasp the situation and looked down with a sense of relief.

"How... how did you manage to escape? And how did you bring me with you?" She asked, concern evident in her voice as she thought about what he must have endured alone in that dire situation. Keilander smiled at her worried expression.

"Lance helped us! Unexpectedly, he arrived just before those guys could take me away," he replied, leaving Elena astonished.

"Lance? What?" She exclaimed in surprise as the realization sank in.

"Remember when I told you that Kinston was a dangerous place to be wandering around alone?" He asked, meeting her questioning gaze. Elena nodded slightly, keeping her focus solely on him.

"It's dangerous for outsiders because it's a gangster neighborhood. And as it turns out, Lance is the leader of Kinston's gang," he explained, causing Elena to avert her eyes in slight discomfort at the mention of Lance's true identity. Keilander noticed her reaction, knowing she was already aware of this fact, but he wanted to gauge her response nonetheless.

"And I'm sure you already knew that, didn't you?" He suddenly asked, causing Elena's heart to skip a beat in nervousness. Her eyes met his once again, this time filled with a sense of shame.

"What? Why... why would you even say that?" She questioned vehemently, denying his suspicions. Keilander quickly grasped her arms once again and pulled her closer, his gaze intense and unwavering.

"No more lies! I need you to be honest with me, Elena! Because I want to be honest with you too!" He said firmly, a tear escaping from her left eye.

"What do you really want from me? Why are you being so forceful all of a sudden?" She asked, attempting to pull away from his grasp, but he tightened his hold on her.

"I want us to see each other for who we truly are! I want to stop hiding things from you and share all my secrets! But I also want to understand the real you, because sometimes your words and actions don't seem to align!" He declared, his eyes filled with a newfound sense of honesty. Elena, overwhelmed, covered her face with her hands, silently trying to calm her inner turmoil.

"You wanted to commit suicide... and I can't ignore that without having a real conversation with you about it! I'm worried, Elena! I'm afraid that next time, I won't be there to stop you," he said, his voice catching as he tried to offer her whatever comfort he could.

"I just want it all to end so I don't have to feel the pain, worthlessness, fear, and humiliation of everything I've endured in my life! And it never stops, Kelan! I'm exhausted. So tired!" She sobbed, lifting her gaze to meet his. Her tear-filled eyes reflected only the desolate chill of winter, so solemnly sad.

"I understand how it feels. There are countless ways things can unravel, or simply not work as they should, and it's often those who are wounded that hold everything together for too long," he voiced softly, pulling the sheet gently towards her face to dry her tears.

"My father was a very wise man. He once told me, 'If your life isn't what it could be, try telling the truth. If you're clinging to an ideology or drowning in negativity, try telling the truth. If you feel weak, rejected, desperate, and confused, try telling the truth. In Paradise, everyone speaks the truth. That's what makes it Paradise. Tell the truth, or at the very least, don't lie. Trust me, you'll feel much better,'" he said with a small smile, watching her cute sniffles with compassion.

"I'm sorry! I've lied to you about almost everything. But the truth is, I'm not even sure if the lies I've told are lies anymore, because I've come to believe them as truths. I'm so lost and confused in my life. I feel down, angry, and constantly questioning. I thought if I could just get a little bit of appreciation from my father, things would be better. But now, I'm not even sure if that's what I truly want," she spoke in a trembling voice, on the brink of tears once again.

"That's okay! What counts is that you're making an effort! Perhaps the toughest aspect of life is simply summoning the courage to try," he said with a gentle smile, providing Elena with a sudden wave of relief and peace. This was a familiar sensation whenever she was in his presence. His words were wise and kind, his touch reassuring, his gaze comforting. It was as though he possessed a superhuman ability to make anyone feel better about themselves.

"How do I continue trying without giving up? I'm scared that I'm not strong enough," she voiced in fear. He quickly took her hands and squeezed them reassuringly.

"Courage is the quiet voice inside you that keeps you going. But there are moments when life becomes too challenging, and that's when you must be wise enough to recognize the need for change. To alter your reality, you must transform your inner thoughts," he stated with unwavering eyes, his hands cradling the delicate hands of the woman who gazed at him in admiration.

"I would say, change what you can, accept what you can't, and be wise enough to discern the difference," He added before reaching into his pocket after feeling a slight vibration, retrieving the keys to her car.

"You should head back before your fiancé becomes even more concerned," he said, standing up from the bed as he handed her the keys and her phone. Elena felt a wave of sadness wash over her as she observed his sudden change in demeanor, noting the sorrow etched on his face for reasons she couldn't quite grasp.

"Kelan?" she murmured in disbelief as she saw him exit the room without a backward glance. Seconds later, Carlton's name flashed on her phone as an incoming call.

 Seconds later, Carlton's name flashed on her phone as an incoming call

TE TOY I ᔕᒪOᗯᒪY EᗩᑕᕼIG IT EᑎᗪIG