ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 66: ᒪOᐯE ᗰE ᗩᑎYᗯᗩY

Tears welled up in Elena's eyes as she gazed into Carlton's

Tears welled up in Elena's eyes as she gazed into Carlton's. A profound feeling of bewilderment and unease had been plaguing her ever since they had become engaged, yet she couldn't deny the truth that lurked beneath her fear and worry.

"I visited my father today!" Elena exclaimed as she walked away, turning her back on him. Carlton quickly followed, standing directly behind her as he listened intently.

"And he completely brushed off my visit! Claiming he had more important things to deal with and didn't have time for my 'nonsense'!" Elena uttered with a shaky voice, revealing her vulnerability once more. Carlton realized that Elena was once again hurt by her father's continuous rejections in the course of the last two months.

"El, your father is under a lot of pressure with his rallies and campaigns not going as planned! Try to see it from his perspective," Carlton said softly, wrapping his arms around her waist and taking in her comforting scent. Elena let out a weary sigh, her eyes downcast, a feeling of unease clouding her thoughts and emotions.

"Carl, I can't shake the feeling that it's all my fault! Ever since we got together, my father hasn't spoken to me. I feel like he despises me more than ever now," Elena's voice trembled, tears welling up in her eyes as she spoke of her father's hurtful rejections that pierced her heart deeply. Carlton closed his eyes in sorrow, holding her close in a comforting embrace. However, the tender moment turned sour as Elena pushed his arms away and turned to confront him.

"I need you to tell me the truth, Carl! What did you say to my father to make him accept our relationship? How did you manage to change his mind when he was so against us from the start?" Elena snapped, fixing him with a piercing gaze. Carlton inhaled deeply, observing Elena's intense demeanor.

"I already explained this to you! I informed him about the questionable dealings of the Carters, which could have jeopardized your father if he had allowed you to marry Jack! I divulged everything I knew about that family in return for your hand in marriage," Carlton stated in a flat tone, feeling a sense of déjà vu as their arguments often circled back to the same topic – her father.

"But... I still find it hard to believe that my father would accept you and agree to our marriage based on that alone!" Elena countered, struggling to comprehend her father's motives. None of it added up to her, sounding feeble and insubstantial. Carlton felt a sense of unease growing within him as he sensed Elena's growing disbelief and skepticism.

"You know what I think it is? You're trying to complicate things and make them seem harder than they actually are because deep down, you've always wanted a challenge! Our love has always been straightforward and simple, but you've been finding reasons not to fully embrace it. It's like you want to see me suffer again!" Carlton's voice grew louder, his frustration evident in his posture and expression. Elena stood still, taken aback by Carlton's outburst.

"Don't make this about you! I'm just trying to make sense of my father's actions! I feel terrible, Carl! You don't understand!" Elena pleaded, her voice filled with emotion.