ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 39: TᕼE ᗩᗯᗩITEᗪ ᒪETTEᖇ

2 𝚍𝚊𝚢𝚜 𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛

Is it really possible to predict the future? Can we ever truly understand the intentions and motivations behind the actions of others? Perhaps it is our instincts, or simply years of knowing someone, that allow us to understand the underlying reasons for their emotions. Elena was aware of Erica's fondness for a particular person, but she never expected it to be Kelan.

Witnessing Erica lost in her daydreams at work every day, Elena couldn't deny the obvious infatuation she had for the mysterious man. However, now that his identity had been unveiled, Elena found herself questioning the nature of their relationship. It was far from normal, especially considering the countless times they had shared kisses. It was clear to Elena that there was something more than just friendship between them.

She found it strange how familiar this feeling was, reminiscent of her time with Carlton. The contrast in her relationship with him was the openness they had from the start. Carlton only desired her out of lust and curiosity, and she understood that. She agreed to it out of boredom with Jack's clinginess. Regrettably, she fell into yet another obsessive relationship trap.

Elena let out a weary sigh as her thoughts raced over the complicated entanglement involving Erica, Kelan, Carlton, and now Jack. She never imagined that out of all the eligible men in the city, her father would choose Jack Carter. But in a strange way, it began to make sense to her as her father geared up for his presidential campaign.

Elena closed her eyes and massaged her forehead, the throbbing headache unbearable. She opened the left drawer of her desk, retrieving a small blister pack of pills. Swallowing two with a gulp of water, she then returned to reviewing the electronic documents on her laptop. The declining sales figures since her absence caught her attention as she prepared to click to the next page. A sudden knock on the door startled her, breaking her concentration.

"Come in," Elena called out without lifting her gaze from the screen. Sofia cautiously pushed the door open, peeking inside before deliberately entering the room, her eyes fixed on her boss.

"Sofia, what's the holdup? Why are you taking so long to come in?" Elena grumbled irritably, then suddenly understood the reason for Sofia's hesitation.

"Roses?" Elena murmured in disbelief. Sofia beamed, nodding eagerly in response.

"Yes, Miss Elena!"

"Aren't they beautiful?" Sofia remarked, tiptoeing in carefully due to the oversized vase. Elena was utterly surprised by this unexpected gesture, unsure of how to react.

"Where should I put them?" Sofia inquired, grappling with the large bouquet of roses. Elena promptly rose from her seat and stepped forward to assist her.

"Over here, by the window," Elena directed, aiding Sofia with the roses. As they carefully placed the large vase, a soft smile graced Elena's lips. Her gaze wandered over the roses, appreciating their beauty. Sofia couldn't help but smile at the sight of her boss, witnessing a rare tender expression on Elena's face.

"What a lovely gesture from whoever sent these gorgeous roses! I would be absolutely thrilled to receive such a gift," Sofia remarked, observing her boss's reaction to her words.

"Do you... have any idea who sent these?" Elena asked, turning to look at Sofia. Sofia simply shrugged her shoulders and shook her head.

"I have no clue, Miss! The delivery guy mentioned they're for you, a welcome-back gift for your return to the company," Sofia explained, smiling. Elena's eyes sparkled with delight as she gazed at the roses once more after hearing Sofia's words.

"Thank you, you can go now," Elena said, offering a smile. Sofia returned the smile, bowed slightly, and exited Elena's office. Elena nibbled on her bottom lip, contemplating the mystery behind the sender of the roses. She then turned back to her desk, refocusing on reviewing the sales from the past months.

Returning to his home on the other side of the capital, Kelan had just finished a long shift as the head chef of a local restaurant

Returning to his home on the other side of the capital, Kelan had just finished a long shift as the head chef of a local restaurant. Approaching his house, he spotted Raymond walking back with Reeve on a leash. Raymond's expression was serious and unruffled by Kelan's return. Kelan let out a sigh and purposefully entered the house, contemplating how to reconnect with Raymond after their argument the previous week. Placing his bag on the kitchen counter, he noticed a stack of letters on the table. Frowning, he picked one up and meticulously scanned its contents.

Five minutes later, Raymond walked into the house and swiftly removed Reeve's collar. His gaze swept the rooms, searching for Kelan's presence. Spotting Kelan's tear-filled eyes as he entered the kitchen, Raymond saw the pain reflected in them. Kelan's trembling mouth attempted to form words, but his emotions were too raw.

"They are... alive!" Kelan managed to stammer out, his voice filled with genuine relief, as he clutched the opened letter against his chest. Raymond's smile softened, and he nodded in understanding, sharing in Kelan's moment of joy.

"I'm so happy for you, Kelan," Raymond expressed, his eyes fixed on Kelan's overwhelmed expression upon learning that his family was safe. Kelan set down the letter and rushed over to Raymond, embracing him tightly. His sobs intensified, releasing the pent-up worry and torment he had been carrying for his family's well-being.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry for all the rude and hurtful things I said, Ray! I'm ashamed to have treated you that way, especially after all you've done to protect me," Kelan sobbed uncontrollably, burying his face against Raymond's chest. Raymond let out a gentle sigh, observing the genuine remorse in Kelan's words and actions. He enveloped Kelan in a comforting embrace, offering support and understanding for the struggles Kelan had faced over the past five years.

"Kelan, look at me!" Raymond commanded firmly, grasping Kelan's head and gazing into his troubled soul.

"I understand that I can be strict and demanding, putting pressure on you to conceal your true identity. But please know it's for your safety and your family's well-being," Raymond explained earnestly.

"I promised your mother that I would protect you with my life if necessary! And that is what I will do until the end of my days with you!" Raymond affirmed with determination.

"I understand that you've been anxious about your family, and I've been thoughtless in not allowing you to reach out to them," Raymond acknowledged.

"But I had no choice. The security around your family prohibits any communication, as it could pose a threat to the entire nation," Raymond explained firmly, his eyes reflecting the seriousness of the situation. Kelan grasped the implications of the restrictions, comprehending the weight of it all. However, the ache in his heart and soul from being separated from his family for the past five years was becoming unbearable, leaving a deep sense of longing within him.

"I'm sorry for being tough on you, but I hope you feel some relief now knowing they are safe," Raymond said, his eyes filled with warmth. Kelan's heart swelled with joy, expressing his gratitude to Raymond through a nod, acknowledging the lengths Raymond had gone to in order to facilitate limited contact with his family.

"Thank you! And I apologize for everything I said! I truly value your unwavering support," Kelan expressed gratefully, prompting a smile of understanding from Raymond, who pulled Kelan into another comforting embrace.

At least Kelan will have a night's sleep without nightmares from now on! Hopefully 🤞 😔