ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 34: ᔕᗩᑕᖇEᗪ ᒪOᐯE

Elena had never felt so torn before

Elena had never felt so torn before. It was baffling to her how someone who barely knew her could understand or perceive so much just by looking into her eyes. She lay in bed, tossing and turning, unable to shake the memory of the unsettling encounter from a few hours earlier. It was well past midnight, yet sleep eluded her, her mind consumed by the moments when she had felt uneasy and vulnerable under the scrutiny of a stranger. A persistent knot in her stomach refused to dissipate, like a rollercoaster of discomfort churning inside her. With a heavy sigh, she cast aside the thick blanket and sat upright against the headboard, drawing her knees close to her chest.

"I'm exhausted from all this overthinking! My mind is drained and overwhelmed by the constant stream of thoughts," she uttered wearily, her hands moving to her head in frustration. As Elena grappled with her inner turmoil in Kelan's room, he found himself in a similar predicament. Struggling to find sleep, he attempted to immerse himself in a book, hoping to divert his mind from unwanted thoughts. The soft glow of the lamp beside the couch provided just enough light to read, until he reached page 222 and was startled by the sound of a creaking door. Looking up, he was taken aback by Elena's sudden presence in the room, emerging from the shadows on the far left.

Setting his book aside, Kelan watched Elena as she made her way to the living room. With a shy smile, she tiptoed across the small space, her eyes meeting his. Returning her smile, Kelan gestured for her to join him on the couch. Elena giggled softly, sinking down onto the plush cushions beside him.

"You couldn't sleep either, huh?" Kelan murmured softly, his affectionate gaze lingering on Elena's gentle expression that stirred his heart. He found himself captivated by the myriad of facets she revealed, deepening the attachment he felt towards her. Suddenly, he noticed her head shake slightly in response.

"I...I...couldn't sleep because... I felt bad," Elena murmured, her voice barely above a whisper, as she pulled her legs up from the cold floor and crossed them together. Kelan smiled in understanding, giving her his full attention.

"I wanted to say sorry... for my behavior earlier! I shouldn't have spoken to you the way I did, especially after all the kindness you've shown me," Elena expressed with a pleading gaze that brought a smile to Kelan's eyes.

"It's okay... you don't have to apologize. I shouldn't have pressured you to talk about things you're not comfortable discussing," Kelan replied. Elena gazed into his sincere eyes, finding them to be mirrors of the soul. She could feel the weight of his distress following her earlier rudeness. Moving closer, she reached out and took his right hand.

"It's not that I'm not comfortable with you, I don't know what it is, but I feel so good and content when I'm with you," Elena shared, her voice filled with honesty and warmth.

"Since that day in the cabin, I've been feeling like I don't want to mess this up like I do with everything else in my life," Elena confessed, her voice carrying a sudden note of sorrow. Kelan felt a tightness in his chest as he observed her words, noticing the gradual shift in her facial expressions to one of sadness.