To be loved is to be changed

Darcy couldn't handle their emotions. The last time they felt like this they were 16 and running away from home. They were running away from their feelings and problems. Yet at 16 they didn't think that it would happen again.

The park was the same as before.

Darcy threw themselves under the slide and squeezed their eyes shut; trying so desperately to hold back a sob. "Tara's gonna regret it... Tara's gonna regret it... Tara's gonna regret it" Darcy mumbled after every deep breath. Darcy prayed no one noticed them disappearing, but the problem was deep down Darcy knew Youssef and Nathan would definitely know. Slowly they pull out their and switch it, placing on the ground in front of them.

The minute it took felt like centuries.

The second it was unlocked countless of texts and voicemails came through. Pain ran through Darcy's veins at the thought of causing everyone else all this pain. Then Darcy noticed one notification. It was the only one from Dad. From Youssef.

Reluctantly, Darcy clicked it and teared at the sound of his breathing.

"Hello... This is Youssef... Are you there... Are you coming home?"

With every word Darcy could hear the pain in his voice. It was so rare. So rare that it scared them.

"Get it together" Darcy whispered to themselves whipping away the stray tears. That's when they noticed the time; when they noticed that they had been running and hiding for two hours. Grabbing their phone and running a hand through their hair, Darcy set off home.

It only took 30 minutes to get home. An extra 7 when working up the courage to open the door. Stepping inside the house and then locking the door, Darcy went straight for the living room. Youssef sat there alone.

On the table sat a coffee and a hot chocolate.

Without even thinking Darcy climbed into Youssef's lap and started crying. They could feel the  way his body relaxed when wrapping his arms around them.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry..." Darcy sputtered out as Youssef wiped away the tears.

"no apologising sweetheart, only crying and talking" he whispered pressing a kiss to the blonde locks on his chest. For the next 17 minutes all that could be heard was Darcy's sobs and word vomit.

Everything felt gross. Their face felt sticky. Their throat was dry. Their eyes hurt. They never wanted to experience that again.

Darcy sat in Youssef's lap, sipping the hot chocolate, relaxing a little bit more with each stroke of hair.
Putting the drink down, Darcy pulled up the sleeve of Youssef's top. Resting their head against chest, Darcy started to trace the stars on his wrists.

"why did you choose stars?" Darcy asked curiously.

"Your dad used to always draw them around my scars so the last he did it I made them permanent... best decision I've ever made"

Darcy chuckled at the response knowing his expression turned to confusion.

"it's a Taylor Swift reference"

"that motherfucker" Youssef grumbled to himself.

Darcy couldn't stop the laugh that left them; no matter how much it hurt their chest.

A little gasp could be heard from the stairs "baba is Darcy back?" could be heard as Nathan walked in with Méline in his arms. Darcy wasted no time running into their arms.

"Dad loosen up or I'm definitely not gonna make it to my wedding"

The hug loosened but Nathan was still holding them "never do that again, I thought you got hurt" he whispered into their ear. Darcy nodded to bring Nathan some reassurance.

"Darcy why did you go?" Méline asked with a hurt voice. It was clear that there younger sister had also been crying.

"Oh sweet honey bear, I got scared and thought Tara wouldn't wanna marry me anymore, so I ran away to hide from my feelings and fears" Darcy told the 5 year old in Nathan's arms.

"that's dumb... can I have the hot chocolate?"

Darcy just looked at the girl with a mix of shock and amazement. "No you can't have the hot chocolate since that's my emotional support hot chocolate" Darcy teased causing the small girl to pout.

Thirty minutes had passed since Darcy returned home when multiple knocks were heard. When Nathan opened the door Nick and Charlie came running in.

"You're okay" the two said in sync as their pup followed behind them bolting at Méline.

Nathan and Youssef watched the scene in each other's embrace. The two men had their arms around Darcy, almost squeezing them to death. Right as Darcy went to apologise Charlie butted in "if I can't say the word then neither can you". Hearing that come from Charlie made Youssef and Nathan let out a dry chuckle.

The couple kept comforting Darcy until it reached 9am which is when they realised it was time to go home. Although they were ready to go Méline wasn't quite ready to say goodbye to the pup, that was until Youssef had brought Gatsby down to distract her.

~next morning~

Darcy stood in a quiet room staring into a mirror. 13 attempts had been made. Darcy hated this tie and with a huff they threw it on the ground.

"I'm pretty sure that's meant to go around your neck, not on the floor" Youssef chuckled.

Darcy jumped not realising that he had walked in. Youssef walked towards them,picking the tie off the floor in the process, then gently tied it round their neck. Youssef could tell that Darcy was stressed about the wedding and so he smoothed out the tie and told them to breathe.

As Darcy took a couple breaths they noticed something out the corner of their eye. A box on the mantle... that definitely wasn't their before. Edging towards the box Darcy asked "what's this meant to be?".

"It's mine and Nathan's gift for you"

Nodding, Darcy slowly opened the box unsure of what to expect. Out of all the things Darcy never expected a piece of paper. Picking it up Darcy slowly started reading it; tears forming in their eyes as they did.

"You're my parents" Darcy whispered looking down at the adoption certificate in their hands.

Their body relaxed as a pair of arms wrapped around them tightly. Tears fell harder at the feeling of another pair of arms wrapping around them; "you okay, bunny?" Nathan whispered into Darcy's hair.

"I'm gonna have my parents at my wedding" Darcy choked out.

Youssef gave a not so rare smile and pressed a kiss to their hair; "me and your dad love you so much" he whispered grabbing hold of Nathan's hand.

"Now come on we've got to get you to your bride".