Reconnaissance.

Unknown location
01/01/2007
{Shadow}

×××

I stabbed the charging enemy in the chest with my katana and on cue the area around me echoed their screams of agony.

I couldn't help but feel annoyed.

Shut it, you're dying, I get it. But you don't have to give me an headache when you go.

I twisted the sword—immediately silencing the screams—and ripped it out from the corpse. I tried to ignore the warm blood that splashed on my cheek during the process.

Let me give you a piece of advice, never—and I mean never—go on reconnaissance missions. It is always, and I repeat always, a trap. No matter how skilled or talented you were, a mission like this was bound to host your future grave.

I should know, trapping all those unsuspecting informants who tried to scout certain classified areas that the League set up just to capture them.

It practically means running in blind with no idea of your enemy's numbers. Reconnaissance was probably just Latin for ambush—okay not really.

Sighing, I looked around and noticed that the bodies were starting to pile up. So much for discretion. Deciding to forgo my previous plans, I turned on my heel and landed a punch on an agent that was trying to sneak up on me—a lot of emphasis on trying.

I think it around that time in the day when I give you helpful tips that may one day save your life.

I should start by mentioning that recon is only bloody when you are ambushed or if you are caught, and frankly most of the time it's your blood being spilled.

Well that's not what's happening in our case. No, two highly trained assassins can turn any situation around.

They surrounded us—or so they thought—and it quickly turned into a massacre—for them.

'Slade hurry up, will you?' I shouted into my comm, effortlessly dodging the bullets being fired at me—I guess that hellish training was good for something after all.

You must be guessing what I was doing. Well, right now I'm being a decoy while Slade is getting the information necessary to complete our objective.

Personally I think he's dodging work. I'm stuck here dodging bullets while he's slinking about and snooping for access codes. In my opinion it should be the other way around, but he argued that he drew too much attention so he couldn't be decoy.

What! Makes no sense right?

Mentally lamenting about my troubles I took out two grenades. With no consideration about the lives I would be destroying, I cooked them and tossed them in the direction of the enemy while shouting, 'Look out below', as I watched the shooters try to escape the blast radius. More emphasis on the word try.

Watching others suffer along with me eased my pain a bit, but it also filled me with guilt. I forced myself to turn away from the scene. It's kill or be killed. I tried to remind myself, not for the first time today.