I did. ..

××

'What?' I frowned. 'When did I activate anything?'

'You were unconscious, but it's already set in stone, either one of you has to be leader.' Vanessa sighed.

'What do you mean by either? Isn't it only him?' BC asked in confusion.

Vanessa laughed. 'Don't be silly, if Robin isn't leader then the second in command takes his place, obviously the power won't be the same, but still.'

Batman narrowed his eyes, speaking slowly. 'And who is this second in command?'

'It's obviously Black Canary, who else could it be?' Vanessa shrugged, walking to Shadow's bed and sitting down. 'I didn't want to believe it, but you've given me hope. I don't care if you toss me in jail for my crimes, just spare the kids, okay? Shadow loves them with all her heart, please find them good homes.'

'What kids are you talking about?'

'How am I second in command?'

'Why would Shadow give us the power to ruin everything she worked hard to create?'

I stayed silent, and so did Flash, I wanted to know the answer to those questions too.

Vanessa closed her eyes. 'She gave Robin her ring and gave Canary her locket, those two items are possibly the only things that she's never taken off, and I mean never. Even if someone was to torture her to death, until she died she wouldn't let go. . . and yet she doesn't have them right now. Those two items are also magically bound so no one but her can wear it, and yet you're both doing just that. . . Her mother gave her the locket, it speeds up her healing exponentially and would protect her from most physical attacks. It's the reason why no one has managed to kill her yet. The ring gives her the ability to wield the power of the lightning sword, Naru, but this sword kills anyone it doesn't see fit as it's owner. . . As long as there's a storm, she can kill a person with as little as a thought.'

Vanessa chuckled, and I felt cold sweat run down my back. That was terrifying.

'You see,' the lady continued. 'Shadow could have escaped, in fact, as long as she had that ring, right now she could escape from the foundation, but she was worried about poor poor Robin. Why use the ring when all her enemies would come for him? So, why not. On her existing orders, One gave Canary some immunity to the lightning and the lightning activates our brands. She trusted you all. I guess you could say she had fun being trapped as a prisoner, though I can't imagine why. So. . .' Vanessa smiled sadly, 'even if you tear this place to the ground, she wouldn't care because she is going to die. It was all preplanned, and Shadow knew she couldn't stop it.

'Everyday was a pain for her, literally. It was always one fight to the next, then you guys showed up. You all were the heroes but you only pushed her further to her demise. . .

'How ironic.'

-

From now on SOTN is gonna have a bunch of updates.