Just Because...

××
Shadow

'Can we talk?' Was the first thing I blurted out when we left the interrogation room.

My palms were sweating and my head was heavy. I didn't feel okay, and somehow I knew Robin was angry with me despite the ever present smile on his face.

He didn't answer me, but instead he stopped and bent down to face Lilian. 'Hey, go find Superboy.'

Lilian grinned, her eyes lighting up in a way I was sure was completely dangerous as she took a small step back.

'Of course!' She answered, giving Robin a quick hug then ran off, leaving me wondering when they got so close.

I stared at him wearily, shuffling on my feet then looking at the floor. 'Robin. . .'

He said nothing, and kept walking. I could feel him shaking when he grabbed me tightly by the hand.

The pain was nothing to me, but I was scared, afraid of what I had caused.

'Please, Robin talk to me, I. . .'

In the next moment I found myself pinned against the wall, and my breath hitched.

My chest still as I stared at him, not daring to move or breathe.

'Why?' He didn't look at me as he held me down by the shoulders, no he seemed somewhere else.

'Why?' He repeated, his voice now angry. 'What were you thinking?'

'I. . .' I didn't know what to say, his rage suffocated me and snuffed out whatever thoughts I had.

'You just tried to kill yourself yet you're so calm.' His voice was devoid of emotion as he let go of me and took a step back. 'I don't understand you.'

'Why are you angry?' I bit my lip and stared at my wrist, clamping my hand over it them then nervously looking back at him. 'Why now? You were fine before.'

'I wasn't fine!' He shouted then took a deep breath, running both hands through his head, his voice mellow as he continued. 'I am not fine, but I was more worried about you. . . I was worried about you, okay.'

'Robin,'

'Just stop.' He shook his head and started walking away. 'You obviously don't care, so why should I, right?'

'Why did you say you loved me?' I ran after him, half in pain and confusion, grabbing his arm as he turned to me. 'At least tell me that.'

'I should tell you?' Robin said slowly, his tone filled incredulity.

I looked at him in expectation. 'You said it, didn't you? Why?'

A scoff left his lips and he laughed scornfully. 'You know, sometimes I forget how dense you can be.'

'What are you talking about?' I asked cautiously as he shrugged my hand off him. My heart quickened as he flashed me a smile and I took a step back in retreat.

'What are you scared of Shadow?' He hummed and took a step towards me, his voice getting lower. 'Don't you want get the answer to your question?'

'Y-Yes.' I said quietly, my mouth going dry as I stared at him and realized that he was too close to me. Just a couple steps away from him, I felt a fear course through me and I didn't know why.

I backed away from him and tried to regain my bearings.

'Yes.' I tried again, filled with a false sense of security that came with a renewed distance between us. 'And I'm not scared.' I added for good measure.