Interrogation (Part 3)

×××
Mount Justice

The Amazonian Princess walked into the interrogation room and steeled herself for whatever she had to do to get information out of the gangleader in front of her.

'You're not Batman,' the voice she heard was so soft and laced with contempt that she almost thought she imagined it.

Stepping into the light, she chuckled. 'Obviously not.'

The girl scoffed. 'Of course, even a blind man could see that.'

Diana put her hands up in surrender. 'I didn't come here to fight.'

'Then why did you come?' Shadow asked, tapping her fingers on the metal chair she was tied to.

'You sound as if you would have preferred Batman.' The heroine laughed, walking to the table and placing her hand on it.

The girl glared at it like it was a disease. Diana kept her hands firmly rooted to the table-her own show of dominance.

Shadow's glare shifted to Diana's face and the princess glared back with the same intensity. For the next moments they were lost in their individual battle for supremacy.

Shadow broke off the staring contest and smirked.

'I like you princess.' She said. 'Ask and you shall receive an answer.'

Okay, that was unexpected. Wonder Woman thought.

Taking her hand off the table, she spok..e 'You must not like Batman, at all'

The leader of the Nightshade shrugged. 'We share a mutual understanding. I mean, that's our dynamic, he loves poking his nose into my business, and I enjoy annoying him. That's what makes the world goes round.'

'I see,' Wonder Woman said slowly, thinking of what to ask Shadow. 'What is your name?'

Shadow looked at her curiously and pronounced every syllable. 'Shadow.'

The heroine shook her head. 'No, your real name.'

××
(Shadow)
23/04/2000

'You mustn't tell anyone your real name. Alright sweety?' A soft voice echoed from behind me.

I nodded, and with an equally soft voice replied. 'Yes mummy.'

×××

'Shadow is my real name.' Shadow shrugged.

'I mean the one that was given to you by your parents, when you were born.' Diana pressed.

'My parents? When... I was born?' Shadow stuttered, caught off guard.

×××
(Shadow)
25/12/1999

'Mom, why do I have to do my hair?' I whined and tugged at the bun my hair was elaborately styled in.

'Because darling, we have a party to attend. Don't you like the dress?' She asked me gently, slapping my hand away from her masterpiece and redoing it.

I crossed my arms over my chest and huffed. 'I like the dress, just not the hair. It feels like my face is being pulled upwards!' I said, throwing my hands in the air.