Day 1: •°Can't Let Go°•

Shadow

I couldn't believe it.

Raising the sword in my hand, I hurriedly parried the attack coming my way, the screech of metal against metal covering up my heavy panting.

The pain is unbearable.

I don't understand how I've lasted this long. I couldn't even see at this point.

The chains binding me to the floor restricted my movements, but I managed to block most of the strikes. The ones I didn't drew blood.

Punishment of ten thousand cuts.

I stumbled back, tripping over my bound feet, my back connecting painfully with the floor.

I chocked down a scream, blood rushing up my throat at the force of my fall as my master's sword impaled my palm.

I struggled to stay conscious, knowing that if I didn't bear the entirety of my beating, the punishment would be greater.

Ra's placed his foot on my chest, bearing his weight down on me as he withdrew his sword from my bleeding hand and placed its tip at the base of my throat.

My old stab wound hurts like hell!

I could feel my ribs cracking under the weight of the heavy boot my master wore. Blood spilled from my closed lips as my vision darkened.

Don't let go.

My hand tightened around the weapon in my hand. I had learnt my lesson at the thousandth cut.

Don't let go.

I was loosing the fight. Ra's took notice my efforts and kindly decided to smash his foot into my wrist.

I knew it was broken, but I didn't let go. My fingers were fixed to the hilt in a death grip.

Once I let go, I'd loose. Once I lose I forfeit my life.

I couldn't let go.

I wouldn't let go.

I wanted to see Robin again. If I died, he'd blame himself.

I can't let go.

This was the last thought I had before I passed out.

××

'Ra's, it's enough, we don't want to kill the girl.' Vandal sighed from the stands of the arena. 'We still need to trade her to The Foundation, they might reduce their price if she is damaged beyond repair.'

The "Demon Head" got his foot off the unconscious assassin.

'You trained her well.' Savage continued. 'She didn't retreat or drop her weapon till all the ten thousand cuts were administered.'

'You make it sound like a good thing,' Ra's flexed his wrist, waving to the assassins on standby to take Shadow away. 'And I assume their price has to do with conquering the world then?'

'Fifty thousand years of life, and I have never heard of the power behind them, makes you curious doesn't it?' The immortal asked.

'No, it doesn't,' Ra's frowned, 'Shadow is the best assassin I've ever trained. She's dedicated and somewhat blindly loyal, and yes, she sometimes affiliate herself with heroes and is protecting that damned city of Gotham. But she is still highly useful to The Light's cause.'