It's Our Fault.

×
Robin

'Well, I guess she felt like giving up, what was there to live for when she had such capable friends.' I could hear the scoff in Vanessa's voice. 'Shadow was really fighting herself this time, all the prophecies that she would die this year, all the gambling with her life, it must have shaken her up because even the Nightshade bet on her death using the number she had always hated, 13.'

No one bother to interrupt the vengeful retelling, and I didn't want step in either, Vanessa seemed to want to say something important. So I kept the rage I felt bottled. Was I really Shadow's friend after all?

'She turns fourteen this year, but she had never believed she would make it till then, "it is a curse", Shadow said once, "the curse of her family." So unsurprisingly she risked it all. The foundation is holding a child hostage.'

'What?' I couldn't help but blurt out. Vanessa ignored me.

'This child is related to Shadow by blood and is closer to her than Carter. She wants him out of there no matter the cost. She'll say it's worth it, because he'll live longer than her, but he isn't just a prisoner, he is a killer loyal to the Foundation and he is terminally ill, only being kept alive for his purpose. Shadow intends to barter her life for his. After all, he's more important to her than herself. She's killed all those people because she was asked to, and all the people she killed were once or are still close to her, take a moment to imagine her pain.'

'But,' I couldn't bring myself to say it. I didn't even know what I wanted to say. I could imagine the pain. Somehow it came easy to me. It was as though I couldn't breathe.

'But nothing!' Vanessa snapped in anger before massaging her temple. 'Maybe to rid herself of guilt, Shadow took in a bunch of orphans, sent them to school and nice homes, all that philanthropic nonsense,' she rolled her eyes and I winced, glancing discreetly at that temperamental mentor of mine.

His expression remained blank.

'But some of the children came back and she kept sending them away till the point where the remaining said they'd hurt themselves if she did it again,' Vanessa chuckled. 'They were so adorable, but then Shadow made a bluff and told them that they'd have to be Shades before she'd allow them stay, and who would have guessed that they'd be geniuses in that area, uh? Shocking to the extreme, I can't still believe it. Of course they don't kill anyone or actually go on missions but still, Shadow made them her ultra mini squad of little adorable kids. As long as they could get good grades, they could remain Shades.'

'Oh. . .' As unbelievable as it sounded, I knew it was what Shadow would have done. 'Where are they now?'

'Orphanages,' Vanessa sighed. 'Only Shadow can keep them in school, if the knew she was gone, they'd—'

'We'd what?'

I guess everyone turned in shock to see a little girl in a school uniform, dark hair tied up in pigtails.

She leaned against the open door, her backpack slipping out of her hold and spilling books onto the floor. 'What did you do to Shadow?'

×

(Lol, this author note is funny... I was cute back then.)

Okay guys, there are a couple ways this could go.

- Shadow gets saved by another person and hates Robin for a while. (Revenge, kill, kill, chaos)

- Robin saves Shadow (Rosha sails) and we learn a lot more about the Nightshade.

- Shadow gets saved by another person and she might fall in love with him... So Robin fights for her, or does he!? (In this version Zatanna makes appearances *shivers*)

I wanted all this to happen before but that would be too confusing and a single day in the story would be several chapters. So which one do you guys want?