Slade Wilson.

×××

I woke up to the discovery that this sleep was the best I had in years. I woke up feeling relieved and whole, regardless of the fact that I was twisted up like a pretzel and the spot beneath me was wet with sweat and tears.

I unfurled my body—the way I imagined a cat would—and stretched. A part of me mind wandered to what I had read in the book as I pulled off my clothes and got ready for a new day.

There were so little people that genuinely cared for me and I always screwed up their lives. Still, I had no proof that the people I am currently in league with ordered Tony Zucco to kill his parents. I mean if the world's greatest detective was on the case he would know if the Light was involved, right?

They didn't die because of me.

I put away the book and ran a hand through my hair. 'They didn't die because of me,' I repeated, trying to get myself to believe my words. But what if they did?

I wouldn't be able to deal with it.

×××

I skipped down the hallway, humming a random tone. My checkered dress twirled along with me as I moved. I didn't even mind the fact I had to wear a dress of all accursed things.

'Are you skipping?' I heard Slade sneer from behind me. I turned just as he stepped out of his room and noticed that he was not wearing his mask, only the eyepatch.

'Good morning.' I greeted, ignoring his question without missing a beat If he noticed he didn't show it.

'Today you would be honing your skills with the M24 SWS.' He informed me—like he was some drill sergeant telling me to do my best for my country, not a mercenary teaching me how use a snipper rifle. He shoved the case off the gun to me, uncaring.

I shrugged off the sudden weight and held it close to me, looking up at my new mentor nonchalantly. Frankly the gun was lighter than when I first carried it, but again, I was eight back then.

I lowered my head, repressing the smile crawling onto my face and spoke up. 'No.'

'Come again?' He questioned, his tone somewhat menacing.

'I want to try it again. The room.' I elaborated.

Slade chuckled darkly. 'You sure are a glutton for punishment.'

I frowned. Did I like pain, did I seek it out? Was I a masochist?

I shook my head at the thought. No, I don't look for pain, pain finds me. I just don't mind it when it comes by.

'Well, are you coming or not?' Slade snapped, dragging me out of my thoughts.

Hurriedly I followed after him, finding him several paces down the hall.

'Sorry,' I mumbled quietly under my breath just because I could. Slade was the only trainer I had who didn't mind me talking back.

He almost seemed to care. I bit down down the laugh that wanted to leave my mouth at the thought.

Despite his often brutal actions I couldn't deny that I preferred him to the league of shadows.

×××

I don't know how long it was but I did it. I finally did it. I felt like I was about to pass out from exhaustion–but I also wanted to run around at the same time. The excitement powered my already worked up heart and it took a lot of effort to slow down my breathing so that I could talk.

'I did it!' Out of breath to Slade I turned to Slade, waiting eagerly for his reply.

I don't think I have looked forward to anything since I started my profession as an assassin, but I found myself wanting to please him.

The Hideout
01/01/2007
{Slade}

She did it. Did she really....

No it was impossible. This test was just something to keep her busy, it isn't something that someone could passed even if they had the determination of the entire world in them.

I moved forward to inspect her, part in pride and disbelief. I saw no entry wounds. And she seemed alright except for the fact that she seemed too happy to contain her excitement.

Even I couldn't dodge bullets for that long, but she was Cadmus' precious project, I should have expected as much from the little prodigy.

She would make an excellent protégé.

'Good job.' I said, managing to hide most of my satisfaction.

As I was about to turn around and leave she did something I could have never expected. She reached out and hugged me.

But I must have imagined the entire thing, because when I blinked out of surprise she was in her original position as though nothing had happened. Flashing me a bright smile, she sauntered off to her room.

I stood still as statue for a moment with only one thought running through my head. What just happened?

In a moment I woke myself up from the shock, I was going to have to check the security footage to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

Walking down the hallway, I knocked once on her door.

The door swung open and there she was, leaning on the doorpost with a pen in her hand. Clad in a dark mask and a hooded black suit, she was the total opposite of the jolly girl she was minutes ago.

'We have a mission?' She asked.

I nodded, putting on my mask.

'Type?'

'Recon.' I answered simply and started walking away.

'Transport?' She asked again, shuffling after me.

After a while we reached the garage, items covered in black tarps taking up space most of the walking space as I maneuvered around them to get to the garage door.

Instead of answering her question, I pulled down a tarp and revealed two Honda V4's.

She stared at me with wide eyes. 'No way. Really?'

I raised an eyebrow under my mask. When did she lower her guard towards me?

'Are you coming or what.' She said cheekily and got on the dark purple motorbike, leaving me with the one colored midnight black.

Shaking my head at her childishness, I tossed her the helmet that matched her bike's color while I got on my own motorcycle.

Shadow raised an eyebrow but put it on anyway, revving the engine of the motorbike as she pressed herself tightly onto it's frame.

'Are you sure you can ride one of those?' I was supposed to be watching over her, not signing her death certificate.

She nodded confidently. 'Yes.'

'I mean how hard can it be?' She shouted against the sound of the engines as she let out a yell and raced out of the building just as I opened the garage door.

Such a strange girl. I sighed, following after her and hoping she slowed down a little before she got herself killed.

I found that the girl was growing on me, I wouldn't want her dead so soon.

×××